Ask the Veterinarian/Safe temperatures for newborn kittens

Question
Hello,
    I have always been passionate about saving orphan through volunteering to bottle feed orphan kittens and finding places who will adopt them out to nice homes. Recently, I moved back into a very small mobile home with no AC. I live in a very hot climate. I want to continue bottle feeding orphan kittens but am concerned about the heat of summer and the hot climate. What is considered safe temperatures as far as weather is concerned indoors with no AC? Also, are there alternatives such as frozen water bottles wrapped in towels, etc? I really wish to continue the helping orphan kittens and puppies. I am so wishing to hear a positive solution to my problem.
    Thank you so much for your time!

Answer
Even if you live in the desert here in California (I live in Northern Cali by Yosemite) the only way these kittens will get overheated is if you leave them in a hot, stuffy room where there is no breeze or if you leave them in the sun.

They have a pretty high temperature to start with so you do have to be careful. You also don't want to chill them. Keep them on the kitchen floor where the linoleum is cooler and make sure there is a fan in the room so the air doesn't become stagnant.

You also need to be careful for your own health! If it's too hot for you, it's probably too hot for them. If they are panting they are too hot. That's how you can gauge it.

Remember that young orphans cannot regulate their own body temperatures very well until they are about two - three weeks old. Keep the temperature no higher than 85 degrees for them and no lower then 70-75. That's the safest range when they are very young.

I hope that helps!

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT