Ask the Veterinarian/Sore on my dog's face??

The Sore
The Sore  
My Dog- Grace
My Dog- Grace  
QUESTION: Hi, Ms. Connell,
  I got home from school the other day and noticed a sore on my dog's face. It had dry, crusty brown coating around the actual sore, at first I thought it my be her own stool that she was rolling in, but it wasn't. It doesn't have the well..."dominant" smell that dog feces has. The sore, itself, is very hard to see, but from what I can get a glimpse of it seems to be slightly enflamed and spotted red. (I'll attach an image if my computer allows it.) She doesn't seem to show any annoyance with it, but I'm just a little nervous. Besides that, she's always been healthy and happy. So, please, try to get back to me as soon as you can, thanks so much!

ANSWER: I can't tell where this sore is on her face but from the looks of it it's either a tooth abscessing or she has a hot spot that is inflamed and infected.

In either case she needs to go see your vet asap. Don't wait, get her in today or tomorrow.

QUESTION: Thanks so much, but the sore could be connected with something that's going on with her tooth? I mean it's right under her ear. and it suddenly just appeared today. She didn't have it this morning when I came home from school, I meant to clarify that in the my last question, (I apologize). Thanks again!

As I said, I couldn't tell where on her face the sore was. Since she is a lab, and by the looks of it, I'd say it's a hot spot, which is a skin infection. And yes, they can show up that fast. Labs are a bit prone to getting these.

The dog can scratch it with her hind foot which just makes it worse, then she will lick her foot so you cannot see the blood on it. The dry, crusty brown is the serum that oozes out after it's been scratched at, or just from being inflamed.

It still needs at vets care. Hope she gets well soon!

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.