Ask the Veterinarian/2 1/2 Week Old Puppy Hasn't Pooped In 2 days

Question
I have a 2 1/2 week old female chihuahua puppy that has not pooped in 2 days.  My brother brought the puppy to me because the mother would not care for the puppies or nurse them.  One of the puppies died.  I have been feeding her puppy replacer formula and she was doing just fine, but now she is not pooping.  She has finally started eating good for the last 3 days, and doesn't seem to be in any pain.  Her belly is not hard... I have rubbed her bottom to get her to pee (which she does), I have massaged her belly with a warm cloth, and that doesn't work.  I can not take this puppy to the vet until Monday.  Do you know what else I can try to help her to poop.  I have read about enemas helping.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
If she has just started eating really well then she might not have enough in her to poop yet.
You do NOT want to give this dog an enema. That is very dangerous.

I would just wait another day and keep rubbing her tummy gently. By this age they are pretty much pooping on their own and mom just cleans them up.

You could add a touch of vegetable oil to her food but you risk giving her diarrhea by doing that as well. Some people use a touch of petramalt as well, which is hairball medicine or a dab of vaseline in her mouth. I do mean a dab too! That will help move things around in her little gut.

Try to give her a little fiber like a 1/4 teaspoon plain metamucil in her milk.
But really if she isn't in distress, and isn't crying, is eating well and sleeping well then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

She has obviously pooped when you just got her but now her body is just absorbing the new food and making stool.
Puppies this little you don't want to get started with diarrhea!
If you are concerned that she isn't making any stool at all, use a thermometer and gently put it into her rectum about 1/2 and then pull it out to see if there is any stool on it. If there is, then I wouldn't worry about her going, as she will soon enough.

If there isn't any on there or she hasn't ever pooped for you I would be concerned about her having an incomplete intestinal tract. but if she has pooped then that isn't the issue.

So unless she starts to cry, feels bloated or stops eating then just keep doing what you're doing.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT