Ask the Veterinarian/abscessed

Question
QUESTION: Hello, my min pin, 8 years old, showed mouth tenderness for 3 days. Took her to the vet and was told abscessed, 12 teeth need to be removed!! Does this seem extreme, unlikely? thanks

ANSWER: When was the last time she had a dental cleaning? By the age of 3 most dogs, and cats, have fairly advanced dental disease IF their teeth are not brushed at least 3 times a week.

So, no, if she hasn't had a good dental prophylaxis is over a year then it is not unlikely at all that she has bad teeth.

Small dogs are particularly prone to bad teeth and need them cleaned at least twice a year if they are not being brushed. Even with brushing a dog or cat will need a deep cleaning (under the gumline) at least once a year.

So when was the last time she was given a good total dental cleaning?

QUESTION: Thank you for your response!
 She has never had a cleaning. I had dogs as a boy into my early 20's, and none of them ever had a cleaning, nor a problem with teeth. They were all large dogs. I assumed all dogs, being canines, would react similarly. I was so wrong and feel badly for my dog. Luckily, she has had the antibiotics for 1.5 days with pain medicine and she is acting so much better, normal. Her surgery is scheduled for this Friday. Thank you again and I regret my lack on knowledge.

Maurice

Answer
No worries Maurice. Many, many owners do not know that dog's need their teeth cleaned just as we do. Bigger dogs don't tend to get dental disease quite as badly as the little ones do.

They get it, mind you, but most go years without the kind of problems that these smaller dogs endure. Big dogs have more space around their teeth, which helps food not stick quite as badly.

My two larger dogs didn't have as many dental problems as I have seen over the years with smaller dogs but I did brush their teeth off and on.

So don't beat yourself up over it. Once she gets her dental work done and she is like new, then you can start a regular schedule of dental care at home for her. Be sure to ask your vet to show you HOW to brush her teeth and also ask about the T/D diet which is an alternative to tooth brushing every few days.

It REALLY does help keep the dental plaque buildup to a minimum.

She loves you, you love her and now you are taking care of her needs. So don't feel bad. :-)

Just consider yourself enlightened on the subject!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT