Ask the Veterinarian/Blistering my horse with palmolive

My horse is 9 years old and is very active. I barrel race and show her in horse shows. She gets worked nearly every day.I noticed that she had trouble turning to the left,she wouldn't bend left hardly at  so we took her to the vet and he said that she had loose stifles. He gave me anti inflammatory pills and told me to rub Palmolive into the side of her leg. He showed me how to do it on the right side so that's what side I did it on. Was that right? Or was I supposed to do it on the left leg? I was told to do it once a day for 2 days.She never let me get the second dose on really well because she didn't want that area to be touched.She does bend a little more,but not much so I'm just wondering if I did the blistering on the right side.

Hi Madison,

I really don't remember much about equine medicine! I do small animal medicine and not horses. I don't even think there is an equine vet in here, but there are other horse owners that are very knowledgeable.

I would post this question to one of them here:

You can see that there are a number of categories to post into.

Good luck and I hope she recovers well.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.