Ask the Veterinarian/Cat Conjunctivitis

I recently adopted a cat (my 2nd cat) he is a year old according to the shelter.

I brought him home and he was fine for a few weeks and got conjunctivitis. I brought him to the vet, who gave me eye drops, and told me it should clear up in a week, and also did a stain test to ensure he didn't have any scratches on his eye as well.

Its been a week and a half now, and although his eye looks better, he now seems to have discharge from the opposite eye as well. (the vet told me to use the drops for that eye as well if I noticed it spreading)

His eyes are no longer pink and swollen, I'm just nervous about the discharge not clearing up yet when its already been over a week. my Vet is not available this week - Should I be concerned that something else is wrong?

thank you for any help!

I'd give it a few more days. These things can take two weeks or so to really clear up. If they do not, and are still running, then you might want the vet to test him for chlamydia, which is a virus that will cause the eyes to run a lot.

It's doubtful that he has it and just needs a bit more time to throw off this virus or bacterial infection.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.