Ask the Veterinarian/Cat Conjunctivitis

Question
Hello!

I recently adopted a cat (my 2nd cat) he is a year old according to the shelter.

I brought him home and he was fine for a few weeks and got conjunctivitis. I brought him to the vet, who gave me eye drops, and told me it should clear up in a week, and also did a stain test to ensure he didn't have any scratches on his eye as well.

Its been a week and a half now, and although his eye looks better, he now seems to have discharge from the opposite eye as well. (the vet told me to use the drops for that eye as well if I noticed it spreading)

His eyes are no longer pink and swollen, I'm just nervous about the discharge not clearing up yet when its already been over a week. my Vet is not available this week - Should I be concerned that something else is wrong?

thank you for any help!

Answer
I'd give it a few more days. These things can take two weeks or so to really clear up. If they do not, and are still running, then you might want the vet to test him for chlamydia, which is a virus that will cause the eyes to run a lot.

It's doubtful that he has it and just needs a bit more time to throw off this virus or bacterial infection.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT