Ask the Veterinarian/cats and insecticides

Question
I have a question about pesticides and cats.
I was planning to spray the outside perimeter of my houses specifically for carpenter ants.  (I live in Massachusetts).
I use a liquid spray.
My cats stay inside all of the time (and of course, when I spray, I close the windows until it dries).

My question is, I have heard that pyrethrin is very, very toxic to cats.
It appears that most of the commercially available sprays contain a derivative of pyrethrin.
Can you give me any advice about what to use (specifically for carpenter ants)?
Or a web site that gives specific information about cats and spraying insecticide?
I have searched some of the web but they do not address this issue.
Or at least I have not been able to find the information.

Answer
Hi Deena,
From what I have been reading, since Pyrethrins are used in flea products (mostly for dogs, but some for cats) the toxic levels are usually reached when owners put too much flea product on their cats, OR more commonly, use DOG products on the cats to cut costs.

Using them around the outside of the house shouldn't be an issue if you keep them in; wait a few days to open the windows, and change your clothes before you come in the house after spraying.
Here is an article about this issue:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/permethrin-and-pyrethrin-toxicity-in-cats/page1.asp

What I would do is call a PEST control place and ask them about the sprays etc.

They have a lot of knowledge about these sprays.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT