Ask the Veterinarian/Cognitive dysfunction in dogs

My 14 year old Australian Shepherd is currently on Anipryl (Selegiline) for senility issues.  I just recently heard about cholodin for this purpose, and have read many, many positive reviews.  I wondered if using cholodin is compatible with Selegiline.  Thanks

Hi Wendy,
I know how hard it is to see your dog have cognitive issues. We sold Cholidin, which is the brand of Choline and Inisotol for dogs for decades and most owners have reported very good results with it. Since both of them are amino acids I don't think that they would contradict the Selegiline. I have included a sheet for you below on that drug so that you can read the side effects etc on it.

I also included a link to buy Cholidin online of your vet isn't carrying it.

Here is the paper on selegiline:

I would worry about giving that drug to my dog if there is a warning on it about giving cheese to your dog! But it still might be what your dog needs.

You might want to try out the Cholidin first for a couple of months and see how he/she does on it. You might not even need to use it.

However, your dogs cognitive function will only deteriorate with time to where even the drug won't work. But some dogs do very well on the Cholidin until they can no longer function at all from age, etc.

I hope this helps a little.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.