Ask the Veterinarian/diseases in animals

On autopsy of old-aged animals which lived their natural raw diets in the wild, is arthritis found? Bone loss found? And dental caries found?

Even though I am a holistic veterinarian and recommend feeding a raw meat/pureed vegetable diet to dogs I am not a great researcher. I did a little research and found that monitored wolves do show arthritis. They are prey to a lot of viruses. While the studies say they have a lot of parasites, I question the studies. If they are studying wolves with limited range that is likely to be true, but in the true wild they probably did not have significant parasites (I know that is true for horses who rarely graze in the same place).

I do know that often wolf teeth wear down, maybe before they would get caries. Some researchers have found caries, others find very few.

Bone loss is not routinely studied in domestic animals nor, as far as I know, in wild wolves.

I think your best sources would be dr. Jean Hofve ( as she has done a lot of research.

Also Beth Taylor and Steve Brown, who have written books on raw feeding, including some studies on wolves.

Hope this was helpful to you

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)