Ask the Veterinarian/Dog Kicked By Horse!

My large breed dog was out of control and would not stop for anything and kept chasing a horse. She cornered him and he kicked out at her hitting her upper foreleg. She was yelping so I went up to her and saw if she was alright, she seemed okay just sore. After a while I noticed her acting weird - trying to leave where I was to go a little while away undercover away from rain. My dog has separation anxiety so for her to go that far away without being able to see or hear me is very strange.

At the time I don't think I was as caring as I should have been. It has been a few hours now and she is still limping and can barely use that leg, she can move it but it hurts her then she yelps. I felt her leg and bent her joint slowly and they didn't seem too bad but if you go further up there is a small section that is very tender, if i move her whole leg back and forth it hurts too. She's breathing deeply, sleeping a lot and looks so unhappy and I feel terrible.

My mother refuses to even call the vet - do you think that I should call the emergency vet or see how it is tomorrow? Thankyou!

It's very possible that she has a green-stick fracture of that leg. That's where it is cracked but not broken in two. It still needs to be treated and splinted.

She also runs the risk of infection just by being kicked if the skin was broken at all.
If it was just a glancing blow then she might just be deeply bruised.

Only a vet will be able to tell the difference by feeling it or xraying it.

Breathing deeply, sleeping and looking unhappy are all signs of pain in dogs.

She is in a LOT of pain. You need to call you regular vet.

And next time, perhaps keep you dog on a lead so that she can't chase livestock.

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.