Ask the Veterinarian/Dog with a stuffy nose?

My two year old Boston Terrier seems to have developed a "stuffy" nose. She doesn't have a cough and seems to still be feeling herself, however, yesterday I noticed her making a noise similar to the noise we make while trying to "sniff" up mucus in our nose when we have a cold. She has a vet appointment in a few days in case this doesn't go away, but how do I possibly help this to where she doesn't suffer until her appointment? I'm worried because she's never been sick before or showed any of these signs before. She's also sneezing more so than usual! How do I comfort my little girl?! (: thanks ahead!

There really isn't a whole lot you can do short of giving her a child's dose (maybe half of that even) of Benadryl. These short nosed dogs get that way sometimes and she could have even snuffed something up into her nose such as dust, a sticker or grass awn, so it's a good thing she has an appointment at the vets.

If you do give her the Benadryl just remember it makes them very sleepy.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.