Ask the Veterinarian/Drooling Puppy

Question
Dear Jana,

I am a medical student, (human not veterinary) but I am fairly well versed in canine health issues.

The situation is with my 6 month old mini- dachshund.  Just this morning we found that he had been salivating excessively.  His neck and chest were soaked as was the furniture that he was laying on.  

I don't see any other clear signs of any problem.  He is not avoiding food or treats, he is reasonably energetic, he is not vomiting or gagging or working his mouth as I would expect if it were a dental issue.

When I took him outside recently he played for a bit with our two other dachsies and then laid in a clump of grass- chewing it.  The elder dachshund stood by him barking madly and poking at him... that made me a bit concerned because I've seen that sort of behavior when an animal is sick or severely injured.

I'd really like to know what you may think?

Thanks in advance.
Tom

Answer
Many things can make them drool. Did you look into his mouth? Does he chew on things like greenies, rawhides or sticks? Are there plants around the house that he could chew on?

It's very possible that he has a foreign body wedged into his teeth or across the hard palate of his mouth.

He could have eaten a bug, or spider or anything that could have started this. His stomach could be upset as well, hence the eating of grass. They will drool if they feel like they want to vomit.

Did get a piece of food from the table? That can upset his stomach. Yes one little piece can do it for a dog. If he got some table scraps he could be experiencing gastritis or the start of pancreatitis.

My first thought would be to watch him and see how he does. But if it continues, then he needs to be seen. Look around your house and yard really carefully however and see if you can find anything that looks chewed on.

That would be my first action. If he vomits, especially bile, or won't eat, or drink, then call your vet.

If he is really little, then don't wait too long. Since you didn't include a vaccination history my other concern that he could have picked up parvo-virus as well.

That starts with vomiting as well.

Call your vet if he is getting dumpy.

-----------@@@@@-----------------

Good move giving him pepto bismol.  I was going to suggest that but technically I really can't.
He should be fine.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT