Ask the Veterinarian/EYE POPPED OUT

Question
Hi, I have a 4 yr. old female Carin Terrier/Toy Poodle mix (not spayed), she weighs approx. 12 lbs.  Her eye is popped out...it is not completely out or hanging. I rushed her into the vet but they wouldn't do anything without payment first - $458.31! I am on a fixed income(social security)and I certainly cannot afford this. I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.   Thank You

Answer
I feel your pain DeAnna but there is nothing that I can do for you. This is basically a medical emergency! She WILL lose her eye if it's not treated soon and as it is she will probably lose her sight in that eye.

However, there are other vets around. Call every vet you can find and ask if they will take payments. There is also CareCredit which is like a credit card for emergencies just like this. Won't your regular vet work with you on this?

It is taken at most all vets. Call the humane society and see what they might be able to do to help. Sometimes they have their own vet that can do it at a much discounted price.

Once she is taken care of you might want to get some pet insurance. It is really worth it for emergencies such as this. The premiums are very reasonable.

I too, am on SS so I know how tight it is. Please make as many calls as you can and start looking into borrowing money from friends and/or family as well. This is very important to get fixed SOON.

Once you find a vet that will do this for you on payments or whatever, ask if you can get her spayed at a discount while she is under so you don't have to pay twice and she doesn't have to undergo anesthesia twice.

I hope that you can find some help quickly. I wish there was more I could do.
Please let me know what happens.

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT