Ask the Veterinarian/Left leg on my min pin

Question
Hello, I have a three year old min pin. He is very healthy and active. The other night I called him to bed and he ran like he always does to the bed and went to jump up and it was like something happened when he jumped but he didn't make it on the bed which is not like him and the bed is not high at all!!! He then wouldn't put much weight on his left leg. If you bring food around him he will still get excited but he just isn't being active. You can massage his leg and he will let you but at other times he will bark. I am not able to take him to the vet right away but I need some help if there is anything I can do to help..

Answer
Sounds like he might have done something to his knee. Either his patella (knee cap) popped out and then went back in or he tweaked or tore his cruciate ligament. He might have just strained it as well.

The only way you will know is to take him into the vet. The sooner the better because if it's just a strain resting is fine but if it's worse then waiting could cause some problems with stiffness and inflammation.

He needs to see the vet. There really isn't anything you can do at home until you know what the problem truly is. Let him take care of what feels best until you can get him to the vet, but don't' wait for weeks. He really needs to go this week.

Just like an athlete wouldn't wait if they were injured, he shouldn't wait either.

I hope it's just a minor strain! Let me know how he does.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT