Ask the Veterinarian/Open bag of Veterinary Lactated Ringer's Injection USP?

Question
My cat has kidney disease and I had been giving her Veterinary Lactated Ringer's Injection every day under her skin at the back of her neck as prescribed by my vet (100 mL per day). Well, at the time she had an almost miraculous recovery and gave me a hard time every time I tried to give it to her and since she seemed fine, I stopped. I knew that wouldn't last from what my vet said, and that her kidney disease was terminal. Well, it's 8 1/2 months later and she is sick again. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow morning, but in the meantime, to make her more comfortable, I was wondering if it is still ok to give her some subcutaneous fluid out of the old bag. IT IS NOT YET EXPIRED, it's just been hanging there in my laundry room after being half-used for the past 8+ months. I have fresh needles to use and I will get all the air out of the line, but I still wanted to make sure the solution wouldn't have gone bad being opened or anything. Any help is greatly appreciated. My poor kitty seems to be feeling terrible.

Answer
While I have used fluids that old, but they were sealed up really well. Just be sure they are not cloudy or have anything floating in them. The problem is because they were sterile and once you stick needles into the bag that introduces bacteria into them.

If all you did was use the port and place sterile needles into that they should be okay, (as long as they are clear and no gray fuzz is in the bag) but common sense says you really should use a fresh, sterile bag.

If her kidneys have finally taken a downward spiral then giving her fluids might make her a bit more comfortable but they won't change anything at this point.

I went through this myself not that long ago and while I used a 'used' bag of fluids, I also knew they weren't going to help a whole lot and they didn't. After 15 yrs I lost my kitty so I know how painful this is.

I would spend my time just being with her instead of poking needles in her if she doesn't like it. But if she is eating etc, give her some tonight then spend a lot of time cuddling her..  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT