Ask the Veterinarian/skin irritation

i have a 1 year old siberian husky, lately he has started to bite himself with desperation and make himself bleed, we thought it would be fleas but his skin looks irritated, what could this actually be??

There are many things that cause skin irritation and itching in a 1 year old pup.  You need to consider sarcoptic mange mites or other insects, a food allergy, a foreign substance that got on the dog's skin, a contact allergy, or an allergy to something in the environment, like grasses or pollens.  Your vet will help you to sort this out and they can provide the dog with something to relieve the itching.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus