Ask the Veterinarian/zithromax for chronic snuffling cat

Question
Dear dr. Gotthelf,
I have a chronic snuffling cat. I have given him (via my vet) zithromax. Now it's two months later and the snuffling begins again. (it was totally gone!).
can I just give it again? Do I wait first, till it gets worse? Will the intervals be shorter each time, you think? And how often can I repeat giving this medicine.
I hope you can give me some answers. My vet is not really happy about giving this medicine, I can read that between the lines....

Answer
Chronic snuffling cats usually have either a sinus problem or a viral upper respiratory infection.  The zithromax is good to kill the bacterial infection that is secondary to a viral infection.  It does nothing for the virus.  If it is a sinus problem, an X-ray of the skull may be needed.  You should check with your vet about getting another prescription.  It really does not do any harm to the cat, but with frequent repeated episodes of azithromycin, some of the bacteria can become immune to it.  There is a new medicine good for cats called Pradofloxacin that has just become available.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf