Ask the Veterinarian/Accidental dog mating

I recently accidently left my female pug with my male german sheaperd and male daschund . My pug has her peroids for the past 11 days so i know that she is fertile . I firstly want to ask that can the two males mate with a pug as my pug was hyperventilating and her fur on the back was wet . What signs can i see that matting has occured . Secondly her periods are still going on , could this throw some light on the matter

There is no question that they bred her. She was probably bred by both dogs. My suggestion would be that you get her spayed as soon as she is out of heat, in another week and a half.

Otherwise she will be having some very odd looking puppies that might be too big for her to even have.

I am only going by what you told me. Two male dogs with one female in heat are bound to breed her. You said her back was wet. Well, that happens often when they are being bred.
She will still be in heat for another 8 days or so, since you said she was 11 days into her heat. You asked for signs that she was bred then you asked me why I came to that conclusion.

Hyperventilation is another sign that something was going on, wouldn't you say?

A dogs estrus, or heat cycle, is 21 days long. Between day 10 and day 15 they will stand and let a dog mount and breed them. Since your males are apparently not neutered, and you seem concerned about them breeding her, my conclusion was that you were correct.

I don't know anything about emergency contraception and the 21 day pill is not well used and doesn't work more times than it does. Most vets in the USA use spaying and neutering to prevent puppies even after breeding.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.