Ask the Veterinarian/Cat Suddenly very Agressive and Drooling

Question
Momma cat suddenly very aggressive towards her kitten that is 13 weeks old. Started about an hour ago. We applied tick/flea drops on her about 5 hours ago. She is hissing and pouncing on her kitten and hissing at myself as well.

Answer
Usually this is an adverse reaction to them. They can even be burning her skin.
The suggestion is to bathe her completely from head to toe and use Dawn dish washing liquid to do so. This will remove the chemicals.

Make sure you rinse her completely- rinse her at least three times to make sure all of the soap is off of her.

Dry her off then do not use anymore flea and tick medicine on her unless it comes from the vets office. Even that can cause a reaction. What kind of tick and flea drops are they?

Never, ever, under any circumstances, use dog flea and tick drops on a cat. It can kill them.

If she continues to act in this manner, take her into the vets right away.
------------------@@-----------------------------------------

Hi Bertha,
There has been some serious problems and many drug-related deaths to using Hartz flea and tick drops on cats. EVEN when using the correct ones. Most of the deaths have been from owners accidentally using the dog drops on cats.

I am relieved that she is better now. Thank goodness! Thanks for letting me know.
Jana  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT