Ask the Veterinarian/Cat Urinating

So my grandma just moved in two years ago. And she has this Siamese cat named Sealey and he has always peed in the house, even in my grandma's old house. But I have always thought it was her other cat Coco who died recently. Then I realized that it was Sealey and now his sister Flower has started to pee and I have no idea how to stop them from peeing out of the kitty litter box. They are both neutered and spayed. Also they don't really pick a specific place they pretty much just pee everywhere especially on the carpets. Please help me by giving me options on how to stop this because if it doesn't stop my grandma will move out. Plus I have two dogs and seven cats and my grandma's cat get along perfectly with each other. Plus if I find a way to get the cats to stop peeing then it will save a huge feud between my and my grandma because she is in denial. Lie she will not believe me whenever I tell her cats pee even if I see it with my own eyes. Also she has seen her very own cat pee and she just turns her head like nothing happened SO PLEASE HELP! Thanks :)

this is a huge problem and really not one I can help you with. These behaviors are old and ingrained and it's going to take a lot of training to undo years of allowing these cats to do what they want.

Being with another seven cats will only make the problem go from bad to extreme because of the competition.

They are in a strange place now and surrounded by other cats so they will pee to mark their boundaries all over the place.

The only way I know of that might help is to put both of these cats on Amitriptyline and start spraying Feliway all over the house. The drug is very mild but helps with some behavior modification in combination with the training- but there must be training!

Now these cats might also have some physical problems. When was the last time the vet saw them?
Often these behaviors are driven by painful urination that causes the cat to avoid the litter box as they associate it with some pain for whatever reason, bladder infection, urinary tract infection, etc. from the past.

They need to be examined first by a vet then you can get them on the Amitriptyline and get some Feliway which is a pheromone that makes all the cats feel like everything is just peachy.

But you've got a household full of so many animals that your own cats will probably start having issues as well!!

So start with the vet visit. There are thousands of websites online that address this issue as well with helpful hints.
Here are a couple:  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.