Ask the Veterinarian/Feline Herpesvirus

Question
Dear Dr. Christina,

May I know if it is safe to feed L-lysine to 2 months old kittens that are infected with Feline Herpesvirus? If yes, what is the daily dosage?

I've tried various treatments (no chemical medications) consist of apple cider vinegar, colloidal silver, honey, tea bags and saline solution for about a month but unfortunately there's still no improvement yet.

The kittens and their mothers are currently on wholesome raw meat diet.

Thanks & regards,

Answer
Yes, LLysine is safe to give to kittens. It is not toxic as it is excreted in the urine like vitamin B. I would try 250 mg twice a day for a young kitten. Adult cats are often given 500 to 1500 mg twice a day. Stay with it for several months, even while you try different treatments. Do give it twice a day to keep blood levels up.  Keep up with the raw meat and pureed vegetable diet.  Be sure they are getting bones or other calcium source.

these chronic herpes can be very difficult to cure. I would try to find human or veterinary acupuncturists or homeopaths who could help. Homeopathic veterinarians can actually work by email if you cannot find anyone local.

I would suggest you learn Reiki as it is a very powerful way to heal animals and totally safe.

FIND A HEALER
I strongly recommend finding an integrative veterinarian with whom to work. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion can live a long and healthy life after recovering from this current problem. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email. Read my comments at the end on working with and selecting a holistic veterinarian. While there may not be anyone near you - these sites may give you ideas of how to find someone in your county.
1. Acupuncture and Chinese medicine: www.IVAS.org & www.TCVM.com
2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): www.theAVH.org and www.DrPitcairn.com. To find homeopathic practitioners for yourself, and homeopathic products, go to
3. Chiropractor - www.animalchiropractic.org
4. Wide range of other treatments: www.AHVMA.org, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and www.civtedu.org
If you wish to consult with me by telephone, go to my website and read about my practice.  

From the book, Healthy Animal's Journal - "Reiki: Personally, I think every person who lives with or works with animals must know at least Level I Reiki. The practitioner places her hands upon the animal (or it can be done from a distance, even around the world) with the intent for healing to occur. The energy flows through the healer into the animal. This is based on directly applying Chi (energy) to rebalance the energy field so it no longer needs to produce the physical symptoms. It is a very good adjunct to any healing modality, especially to relieve pain and inflammation. I have seen cats who begin to eat again when their food has Reiki done on the food. It also "takes the bad out of" things. By doing Reiki on smelly water in restaurants I have been able to drink sweet tasting and smelling water. Use Reiki anytime that you must give injections, vaccines, drugs, flea or heartworm drugs, or other substances with potential toxicity. Do you work in a grooming salon, or kennel, or veterinary clinic, or barn or anywhere animals are being seen? Use your Reiki on any treatments to be given and to calm the animals. People have reported getting animals to eat by doing Reiki on their food.  http://www.reiki.org  . http://www.ReikiTails.com  is a great practitioner in Maryland who knows a lot about cats. Get a free treatment at www.interdimensionalhealing.com. Great information on Reiki - http://www.reikicourse.org. Kathleen Prasad is a wonderful teacher and works with my favorite sanctuary and holistic education center, BrightHaven www.brighthaven.org. She just had an article on Reiki in Feline Wellness. Kathleen leads a free monthly telechat for anyone trained in Reiki and using it with animals. http://www.animalreikisource.com/. If you cannot find a Reiki Class near you (same class for people and animals as it connects you through an "attunement" to the healing energy of the universe, making you a channel of healing), three groups offer long distance, free, attunements.
1. http://theholisticcare.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13,
2. http://freereikiattunement.com/
3. www.ReikiBlessings.com offers free Reiki attunements, classes and training on-line    and animal classes, too
Long distance healing and training is at www.animalhealers.homestead.com/  
A client of mine is using Christine, Her name is Christine at cbearse@earthlink.net, www.awakeningrainbows.com. To receive free distance Reiki send her your first name only, city and state, and whether or not you have had any Reiki training.  She invites you to include your pets as well.  She uses a teddy bear and does a full body Reiki distance treatment for one hour each Sunday evening from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. EST.

Another wonderful healer, Deena Spears works long distance with Sound Tuning. www.Singingwoods.com. I have seen many animals and the people in a home be healed by her work.
(she can even help across the pacific ocean).

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau