Ask the Veterinarian/Fleas

Question
QUESTION: Why do horses and cows not have a flea problem?
I know fleas will bite people, birds, rodents and reptiles, but I have never seen a horse or cow with fleas.
Iíve had horses all my life, and know that flies, ticks are a problem but why donít they get fleas?

Thanks Dennis

ANSWER: Most pests are "host-specific" and they only can live on those animals that are their natural hosts.

Some pests do cross lines however. Sea Lions in California have been found with heartworm infections and while scientists are not really sure how they are getting them, they are suspecting a mite that seals carry. Normally, the infective larvae of the heartworm is only found in Mosquitoes.

And while fleas are geared toward dogs and cats, they live very happily on Opossums. Ticks bother everything from mice to deer.

Lice can live on your horse, but you won't get them. However, cat scabies can be spread to humans, but demodectic mange, which is another mite, cannot be spread to humans.

So there you have it. And of course, is there ANYTHING a fly won't bother??

QUESTION: Thanks for the reply but I am more interested in the specifics. I know fleas will feed on dogs, catís rats, people, birds but not on horses.
Is there something in there blood that they donít like or canít tolerate.
Mosquitoes I know will feed on just about anything that has blood.
I know ticks, will get on horses, but I was just wondering why fleas donít.
Can you be more specific please?

Thanks Dennis

Answer
As I said, parasites are host-specific." That means that they only feed on the species that they were "born" to feed/live/breed or be parasitic on.

That's pretty specific. It's how they are created as it were.
Cat and dog fleas are driven to feed on the animal that they were coded to feed on, that is cats and dogs. But they WILL feed on other animals. There are over 200 species of fleas alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flea

When they are only found on certain animals, then they are considered host-specific.

So not all of them are, but obviously they don't like horses and cows or they would be as covered with fleas as stray cats and dogs are.

This will help you understand fleas better:

http://www.insectresearch.com/ps_fleas.htm

and the above link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flea

Hopefully this will answer your question better than I can!

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT