Ask the Veterinarian/gentamycin induced vestibular dysfunction

Question
My vet suspects that gent ear drops have caused balance dysfunction in my cat.  how long will it take for this to reverse if at all?

Answer
I couldn't really tell you Jennifer. I have never seen this, and I am not a vet, but a vet tech, so I would just be guessing.

What does your regular vet say about it?
Don't ever be afraid to call your vets office and ask the questions that you wish you had asked when you were in there.

It's very common to not think of these later so call and ask the receptionist to forward that question to the vet and to please get an answer while you wait.

From what I am reading this is a very bad thing that can be permanent. Apparently 15-20% of all dizziness and vestibulopathy is caused by gentamicin ototoxicity.

This is a terrible condition for people to get and it can't be much better for cats.I only found some information on humans with this disease, which said that it can resolve but it takes over a year in some cases.

I would consult your vet to get a better idea of what you are dealing with here.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT