Ask the Veterinarian/kitten vaccinations

Today we went to a vet clinic to get shots for my almost 18 week old kitten. He will be 18 weeks on Monday. We went ahead and got the over 18 week vaccinations. Will he be okay? I am worried now. He is acting fine. Also in 2 weeks he is going back for FeLV and distemper/rhino boosters I am also supposed to show him in 3 weeks. You are supposed to have them 2 weeks prior to the show. Does this actually count as a vaccine? One more question. One of the vaccines said distemper/rhino 4 in 1. Does this also mean vaccinations against panleukopenia and calcivirus? Thanks!!

OK this question is rather confusing. You say that you're supposed to get the vaccination two weeks before showing him, which you did, but then you say you are getting a booster one week before the show.
He is supposed to be vaccinated every three weeks, not two. If he hasn't had any vaccinations prior to these then yes, he needs a booster in three weeks and then again in a year.

The distemper/rhino vaccine is usually a 4 way if it doesn't have leukemia with it.
It has vaccines for:  rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, Chlamydia, feline distemper.
Feline distemper IS panleukopenia. Leukemia and rabies are two separate vaccines.

Traditionally, most feline vaccines do include the leukemia vaccine but there has been a trend away from that due to vaccine-associated Feline Sarcoma worries. So they are now given separately.

Rhino, calicivirus and chlamydia are all upper respiratory infections and are all highly contagious to other cats.

I hope that he has a strong immune system because these vaccinations should have been started when he was 6 weeks old to get the maximum protection before he is around other cats.
So make sure he gets his secondary vaccinations and his rabies and leukemia as well.

They all count as vaccinations.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.