Ask the Veterinarian/Nursing Chihuahua and fruits

Question
My 4 lb. Chihuahua gave birth on 6/20/2013 at 8:45 PM to a healthy male Chihuahua puppy. Before she gave birth, I fed her bananas and apple slices. Now that she has given birth and started nursing her pup, I have started her on puppy food. Her milk is coming fine. Now, I was wondering if feeding her bananas and apple slices could effect her milk and hurt the puppy in any way? Also, is it okay for me to give her strawberries while she's nursing?

Answer
I am guessing you mean as a snack right? Because if this was her diet, I am surprised she gave birth at all. She needed to be on puppy food the whole time she was pregnant and needs to be on it until the puppy is weaned.

Then she needs to be on Adult small bites food. Apples and bananas are fine for a snack now and then, but not a steady diet. Human food is for humans and dogs are not made to digest these foods as we do. So a steady diet of them is detrimental to their growth and overall health.

Strawberries are not a good idea. I would abstain from all snacks until the baby is weaned.
Do not use Purina Puppy food as it is coated with milk and dogs are all lactose intolerant once they are weaned.

Get her on a high quality diet such as Science Diet Puppy Growth Small Bites. The puppy needs to be on it for one year then on adult food as well.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT