Ask the Veterinarian/Stray Cat Family

Question
THERE IS A CAT FAMILY LIVING BEHIND (AND, SOMETIMES, ON TOP OF) MY GARAGE. LOOKS TO BE A MOM AND DAD AND CHILD.  I DON'T MIND THEM LIVING ON OUR PROPERTY.
I WANT TO KEEP THEM HEALTHY.
CAN I JUST PUT OUT SOME PAPER PLATES WITH WET CAT FOOD ON THEM ONCE A DAY?
SHOULD I BUY A DRY FOOD DISPENSER AND LEAVE IT OUT ALL DAY SO THEY CAN EAT AT THEIR LEISURE?
SHOULD I PUT OUT A BOWL WITH WATER OR MILK?
THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW.

LOU

Answer
Hi Lou,

While it's very commendable that you want to feed them and keep them healthy, what they really need is to be neutered so that they cannot keep breeding.

In the meantime, get them some dry food. Just keep that out all the time so they can eat it when they need to. Do not give them any milk as that will give them diarrhea, as cats cannot digest any lactose once they are weaned.

So get them so dry food, and after a few weeks you can get them into the vets and get them fixed.

Thank you for taking care of them!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT