Ask the Veterinarian/Dachshund yeast infection in ear-lameness

Question
Pearl
Pearl  
Hi! My 11 yr. old dachshund has a ear infection (about 3 days now) and yesterday all of a sudden she won't walk or stand. I took her to er vet and they gave me Remicin ointment and oticetic flush to treat the ear. The vet said that my dog didn't show any signs of pain but she could be starting IVDD-disc disease. My dog is still eating well and doesn't seem to be in pain. Could she be not getting up because of dizziness from ear infection? Also she has not peed or pooped in almost 48 hours. Please help. Thank you!
         Raquel House

Answer
Rarely does a yeast infection affect the middle ear causing dizziness.  If the dog has a yeast infection , then there is also most likley a skin allergic reaction to something.  Your vet may want to prescribe some oral steroids to use.  That may also help the pain walking or standing as well as the pooping and peeing.  If she does have a disk problem, high dose intravenous steroids and cage rest are very important.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf