Ask the Veterinarian/Dog Soiling House

Question
Good afternoon

I have a 15 years old black labrador and for the last week he has been pooing in the house every day sometimes twice a day.  We have the door open because my husband is at home during the day and our Labrador is just pooing where he lays.

He has problems with his back legs ie it is difficult for him to get up sometimes but the vets saying this is because of his age, but he is pooing when he is walking as well in front of us.

Could you please tell me is this due to his age.

Answer
It is most likely due to the loss of muscles and the inability of the dog to get up and go outside.  You might try using one of the better brand superpremium foods (Science Diet, Proplan, Eukanuba, Iams, etc.), which does not create a lot of poop because it is almost all digested.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf