Ask the Veterinarian/dogs rash/moles

Dr Gotthelf,

My  12 year old bichon has 4 moles she has been scratching causing sores. Prior about 2 months ago, she developed an eye infection which was treated with an antibiotic ointment for the eyes.  She has developed a rash in her vaginal area that she is licking constantly.  Do you have recommendations of OTC treatments to stop the itching?  Also, am I able to give her Claritin?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Antihistamines, like Claritin, rarely decrease itching in dogs.  The tumors will not regress on their own and may need removal.  Itching can be caused from many things.  Bathing frequently may help and if you can find an over the counter cortisone spray, like 1% hydrocortisone, that may give some relief.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus