Ask the Veterinarian/labre dog smells a lot

MaximusJake wrote at 2013-10-11 20:19:56
I've found that the number one cause of a stinky dog is the food they eat. If you are feeding your dog commercial dog food, try making some at home. This will require effort and a little time but it's worth getting rid of the stench. You don't have to worry about what is 'potentially' in the food you're feeding your dog because you're preparing it yourself. There are hundreds of homemade dog food recipes that will hopefully solve your dog's problem.

If you'd like to see what's in the dog food you're currently feeding your dog, visit http://secretsofdogfood.net/

You'll be surprised to find what people are feeding their dogs everyday. I know I was.

My black lab 'Jake' used to stink to high heaven. When I switched him from commercial dog food to homemade, I saw an immediate marked improvement. After a couple of week, the smell was gone and his coat was clean and shiny.

Baggio wrote at 2013-11-07 16:17:14
Hey there,

I'm not sure what you mean by "smell", so I'll outline answers to each scenario.

1. His breath smells.

For this, the most likely culprit would be his diet. Could he have eaten something bad lately? Might he have eaten some bad dog food that came with the package?

If he has, then the solution is simple - just change his dog food.

By the way, I talk a bit about the dangers of using commercial dog food for your dog, and if you're interested, you can check it out here: http://dogfoodnomore.com/, where I recommend a resource that details how to prepare your own economic, low cost, but most importantly, HEALTHY meals for your dogs also with relatively little effort (it recommends you do so in batches to save you time and money - and it can be surprisingly durable too - last for 3 weeks!)

Second, could he have had an infection (bladder, gastrointestinal, etc.)? Could he have some sort of a dental disease of ulcer? If so, then you might want to take him to your vet and have him treated.

2. His coat /  smells bad.

There are a whole load of reasons behind why your dog's coat might smell bad. For instance, skin disease, allergies (which cause excessive sweating).

Again, a trip to the vet seems to be in order.

3. His ear smells bad.

Most probably an ear infection.

Trip to the vet recommended.

So for the most part, you can attribute your dog smelling "bad" due to his diet (and this can have a dramatic change on his appearance, I remember seeing our dog's teeth from turning into a smoker's teeth yellow to pearl WHITE - no joke - four months after switching to our home made meals based on the recipes we found - see website link above. It was amazing.), or an infection.

Changing his diet or taking him to the vet to cure that affliction usually solves the problem.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau