Ask the Veterinarian/my red bone seem like shes scared of

Baggio wrote at 2013-11-07 15:38:49
Hey there,

If I'm understanding your question correctly - you're saying that (1) your dog is scared of noises, and (2) she's barking, and (3) you have another dog and he had a seizure?

Let me try and address these separately.

(1) Fear of loud noises. I'm not sure where you welcomed your dog into your family, but if she stayed at a shelter previously, then she might have been exposed to scenarios that might have exposed her to loud noises constantly, striking a fear in her heart.

Adopting a timid personality, then, seems to follow naturally as a result.

What you need to do, then, is to try and reassure her that everything is find, and that she's in a SAFE environment. The way you'd do that is to notice where she likes to hide to and if possible, try and give her unrestricted access to that place so she has a place to retreat to when these loud noises pop up again.

That's creating a safe "haven" for her.

Second of all, you might want to search up something called "counter conditioning".

This is a type of training that attempts to reduce your dog's level of fear of loud sounds. For instance, you start off with a soft sound, then gradually increase that (e.g. footsteps --> hand clap --> fire crackers --> heavy furniture moving, etc.) while doing something pleasant with her (e.g. eating, playing ball in the yard, etc.). That way, you'll desensitize her from the stimuli causing the fear reaction, greatly improving her behavior.

*NOTE: Please be careful when doing this type of training. When properly done, it can have great results, but if not, it can actually worsen her fear. Consult a few dog training manuals or a trainer before proceeding with this training.

(2) Barking. You mentioned that when she's "snappy", she barks a lot.

It's great that you're noticing what mood she's in when she's barking.

The next step is to figure out - what's CAUSING her to bark? Is there something irritating her? Is she bored? Is she afraid?

When you figure that out, you can probably reduce her from barking by removing this stimulus, or by distracting her from barking, or even with positive reinforcement paired with something like clicker training.

Unfortunately, there's no "magical elixir" that can cure her of barking. And I personally am anti-bark collars, since they usually do more harm than good (in my opinion, anyway). So, you're left with good old dog training.

On my website, I recommend an excellent resource to help with dog behavioral issues, you can check it out here if you're interested: It goes through lots of behavioral problems and very simple to apply training solutions that I'm sure you'll find useful.

In any case, when unsure, just reach out - whether it be online or to a trainer. As you can see, there are loads of people who are willing to help when you say the word.

(3) Seizure. Now, having a seizure is a very serious thing. Are you sure that your dog was having a seizure? I'm not doubting your judgment, but there are a lot of conditions than can cause symptoms similar to a seizure. A useful article you can read can be found on the Web MD site here:

If he is, however, then aspirin is not the way to go about it. The correct procedure is to leave him to seize (I knot this sounds a bit counterintuitive, but if you intervene, you might risk making it worse), and when it's over, note the time that's passed, and call up your vet immediately. Then s/he can administer proper treatment (if necessary) after an examination.

If in doubt, just call up your vet. Remember, a seizure is abnormal electrical surges in your dog's brain that bring about additional thrashing behavioural wise. Extended seizing times may cause even brain damage. So it's important to have your vet's number handy at all times.

Anyway, these are my two cents.

if in doubt - REACH OUT. There are ALWAYS people who are willing and qualified to help you.

Good luck!

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)