Ask the Veterinarian/Growth on standard poodle rear leg

Standard poodle growth on leg
Standard poodle growth  
My female standard poodle is 3 yrs old. About a month ago I noticed a small flesh colored lump under her hair while grooming her. It is firm, but not really hard & doesn't move. She didn't seem to notice it at all. I've monitored it & informed my vet. They said we could wait & see for a bit. It did grow, but not much. It's about 3/4 of an inch.
We went on vacation for the last week & while we were gone she has licked it raw. It looks horrible! I really wasn't worried before, as I thought it was probably just a cyst. I own her mother as well, & she's always been healthy. Even now at the age of 8!
My dog seems well in every other aspect. Eating, drinking, running, playing, etc. Could this still be cancer? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

I can't tell you what type of tumor this is from the picture.  Only a pathologist can be sure.  What I can tell you is that when the dog is bothering a tumor, it should come off.  The irritation can cause more trauma and it can increase the itching sensation as well as stimulte the tumor.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus