Ask the Veterinarian/Yorkie

I have a 6 lb Yorkie that is a rescue, we've had her about a year, and the vet thinks she's about 3 years old - when I take her to get her nails trimmed it's EXTREMELY traumatic for her.  they have to put a muzzle on and she jerks around, and tries to bark and bite, which is not like her at all - she NEEDS to have her nails trimmed about once a month, but it's SO traumatic that I hesitate to bring her, how can I make this situation better?

If you can take her for a walk on concrete and let her naturally wear off her nails, that may help.  Your vet may prescribe a tranquilizer for her before a nail trim.  They may also do a procedure to anesthetize her and cut the nails really short.  I do that in my practice and then I use a laser to ablate the "quick" so that there is no pain afterwards.  That really lengthens the time between nail trims.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus