Ask the Veterinarian/My 6 month old kitten is really skinny

Question
My six month old kitten is really skinny.  He was a foster kitten from a Momma cat and six kittens that I fostered for 3 months.  I kept 2 kittens, my other kitten is almost twice as big as him ( they are not related, just litter mates).

We just recently noticed that he is really too thin.  We have bought him wet kitten food and he just eats a little and then walks away.  He is drinking water.

He has been fixed, but has not had any shots yet.

Thank you for your time.

Answer
Your can could have many things going on. He obviously has a problem with eating so I would get him to the vets as soon as you can. He is too young to be this thin.

How was it that he was neutered and not vaccinated? He should be tested for leukemia, FIV, FIP and then if he is negative he needs to be vaccinated.

But start with an exam and take the vet a fresh stool for a culture. Wrap it in plastic on the morning of your appointment.

Your vet needs to see this cat and get to the bottom of why he is this thin.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT