Ask the Veterinarian/My 8 month old Great Pyrenees Pup

Question
Before and After
Before and After  
Places on Legs
Places on Legs  
QUESTION: My 8 month old great Pyrenees won't eat and it is really worrying me. He has lost a lot of weight and I am scared something will happen to him! We got him a couple weeks ago and he just hasn't ate at all. I mean he hasn't even ate a little! We are feeding him what the owners before us gave him ( Pet Pac Dog food for large pups) and he still won't eat. He is also losing a lot of weight and I am really scared for him! He is losing a  lot of hair too and is scratching a lot and has little red spots on the places he is losing hair. He also has little places on his legs that look like he cut his self on something or he is scratching to much? He is looking very sick and i am worried!!

ANSWER: He obviously doesn't like this food but if he won't eat anything at all, like some boiled chicken and rice, then he could be very sick.
Since you don't mention vaccinations etc, he could have a gastro-intestinal virus or gastritis from the change of ownership.

He might be stressed and depressed due to losing his last family. You need to give him some time but in the mean time get him to a vet right away and have him looked over from top to bottom.

Pet Pac dog food is not a good food by the looks of his coat and his hot spots that he is now getting. Get him on some really high quality food, like Science Diet Large Breed Puppy food or one of their new Hills foods with no grains.

I would have to say that he doesn't look very healthy and I don't know which is before you or before he stopped eating or what this pictures mean.

The bald spot on his leg is from him chewing and that is from allergies, bad diets and stress.

As I said, get him to a vet asap.

QUESTION: He will eat anything besides his food! He loves rice and chicken and he is very active. What is some signs he is sad about losing his last family? He is very playful and loves to be brushed and I brush him every other day. Is that bad? He loces jumping around and being playful..Everything seems fine besides him not wanting to eat him food. He alway dumps it out of the bowl or spits it out. He also eats if I hand feed him but I was doing some research last night and found out Great Pyrenees are highly allergic to corn and I am thinking about changing his food to authority dog food that is grain free. Do you think that is a good idea? I am also going to get him to cod liver oil. Is that good for him? I love carver and I want him to be healthy! thanks for all your help!!

Answer
These dogs are not more allergic to corn than any other breed but your dog   may be intolerant of some grains. More likely it's the wheat as most dogs have a wheat intolerance.

I would use this food instead of authority as this food has over 70 yrs of veterinary research behind it:

http://www.hillspet.com/products/sd-canine-adult-grain-free-dry.html

Since he is 8 months old you can start him on an adult food.

I would do as much reading as you can on this food and Hill's in general and you will really see the difference.

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT