Ask the Veterinarian/9 Day Post-Op Question:

Question
My 5 month old cat was declawed 9 days ago (a decision that was tough, but special circumstances required it). She's been running around and acting like her old self for the past 7 of the 9 days, but I just noticed she pulled off the post-op glue between two of her toes. It's not bleeding, and she doesn't seem to be in any pain, but I can tell there's an open wound still. How long will that take to heal on its own? Should I do anything in the meantime? I have to leave her alone from 8-4 during the week while I'm at work, and I'm concerned she'll chew at the other sections of glued fur. I don't want to deal with an infection!!

Answer
Apparently the vet who did this glued them all shut, which is the norm nowadays but isn't ideal. She is probably pulling the glue off because she senses that her toes are healed and that this stuff is just in the way. I am guessing since I cannot see it, but after 10 days these are pretty well healed up inside anyway.
My biggest concern would be her getting kitty litter up inside the open area, not so much with infection.

If it's not bleeding it might look open but not really be "open." The sheath is what is glued back together after a declaw and it looks pale colored on most cats.

Probably the best thing to do would be to use newspaper for her litter for another week or so, so that she doesn't get any sand up inside of there.

If you see her licking constantly at one toe or another, then you need to get her in to see the vet for a follow up.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT