Ask the Veterinarian/Antibiotics for kennel cough

I adopted a dog from the ASPCA and he was sent home on Doxycycline . However after completing that he was still coughing and hacking. Mostly in the mornings and when excited. So I took him in and they prescribed Azithromycin  250 mg once a day for 5 days then one pill every other day for 5days. Is that common dosing in dogs? I know in humans antibiotics should be taken everyday for the whole prescription or risk creating a super infection resistant to the antibiotic . Is that not the case in dogs? Is every other day ok for them?

The coughing is probably from a variety of viruses and possibly some bacteria.  The antibiotics only get some of the bacteria.  Both doxycycline and Azithromycin work well for Bordetella bacteria.  Azithromycin has a very long half life and can be dosed intermittently. The viral disease just needs to run its course.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus