Ask the Veterinarian/Constipated 4-5 week old kitten

Ok, I took a kitten off a neighbors hands who had found 6 kittens in a box on the side of the road. She was looking to find them homes ASAP because she has a 3 mo old baby that needs her full attention. (We are on a military installation overseas and our vet clinic is understaffed, they told her the kittens were her responsibility) I have and the kitten since Wednesday, she gave me one very small runny stool in Wednesday and one chocolate chip like stool in Friday.with that same poop on Friday I saw another trying to come out with what looked like blood but it went back in :(.  It is now Sunday and she hasn't pooped since Friday.  Here is my problem, it's a holiday weekend ant the vet is not open until Tuesday at noon. I am trying to find a local animal hospital with no luck. Starting yesterday I have been adding a couple of drops of mineral oil to her food but still, no poop. She is very squirmy and uncomfortable when I try to relieve her and she cries a lot too so I believe she is backed up. How can I help her? I'm very worried for her and I don't want her to go a whole 4 days without relieving herself. Side note: she urinates just fine, on her own sometimes actually.

Depending on what you are feeding her, she will vacillate between runny stool and constipation.
Kittens need to be on a kitten replacement formula instead of cows milk, which all cats and dogs are (lactose) intolerant to once they are weaned.

If she has diarrhea, which she might have without actually having liquid stool. If she does, her rectum will be very red and irritated, which is what you may have seen "pooching out" a bit on Friday. With diarrhea they can get Rectal Tenesmus - where there is a feeling of constantly needing to pass stools, despite an empty colon. This might be why she is uncomfortable as well.

So try to get some kitten milk replacement and keep her on one type only. That way her sensitive gut won't get all out of whack going back and forth. She could also be full of worms (very likely) which can constipate them as well.

Get her some wormer from the vet when you see them. If she isn't eating a lot she won't have a lot of stool, so don't worry about that. Get her on Nurturall or Esbilac if you can and a lot of these issues with her stool will resolve.

You are doing a great job Cecily! I think she will be fine. Please let me know how she does.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.