Ask the Veterinarian/DISEASE

Question
I do not have a cat yet but I would like to get a cat. I currently have a dog, guinea pig, and chinchilla. I needed to know if there are any diseases, etc. that a pet indoor cat can spread to any of my other household pets. Thanks

Answer
Well you have three different species here, four if you count the chinchilla as non-rodent.
The only disease that I know of that a cat can bring in is scabies, which is from mites.

I don't think that chinchillas can pick up feline diseases but I don't know that much about them either.

Dogs cannot give them anything and cats usually don't give dogs much. Rodents or rodent type animals are usually only going to give each other something.

I would have the cat tested for leukemia, FIV, FIP and herpes however, before you bring it home.
That is your best bet to prevent anything.

Keep your dog up to date on vaccinations and make sure the cat is also vaccinated and free from the above before bringing it home.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT