Ask the Veterinarian/Yeast infection in dog's ear

Diy Pete wrote at 2013-10-29 09:48:02
Love the comprehensive advice that Rex has given.  I too have a labrador that was constantly getting painful yeast infections.  The more I treated with the formulas that were prescribed the worse he got until it became a battle to get anywhere near him. So now I had the problem of a very frightened dog that was in pain as well as a horrible thick black waxy discharge coming from his ears.

So what did I do?  I took the 'less is best' option and purchased a naturally derived ear cleaner that had been recommended to me.  Within days the inflammation and horrible wax had all but disappeared, I honestly couldn't believe it.  I think the prescribed drops had stripped his ear canal and this is why it was so painful and sore.  

My advise to anyone now would be to treat the initial outbreak with what a vet prescribes but don't over use it! After maintain a healthy balance with a gentle ear cleaner that has pure natural ingredients (no chemicals or stinging alcohol).  I got mine from

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)