Ask the Veterinarian/fleas

I have 3 chi's, and I got Cap Star pills to kill the fleas, it worked on 2 0f my dogs, but not the other one, he has been scratching all night, I know they have some kind of allergies, but I have tried everything, allergy pills and shots, nothing works, how can I relieve this scratching.

Capstar kills the fleas that are on the skin for about 12 hours and then it is gone.  The flea bites can last for 30-45 days in some dogs.  Itching can be relieved with corticosteroids and if they do not work in this dog, then I would have the dog checked for sarcoptic mange mites, which will not respond to steroids.  If the dog has a skin infection, the itching will not stop without antibiotics. HAve the vet check the dog to see why he is itchy.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus