Ask the Veterinarian/golden retriever excessive drooling

Question
My golden retriever was in labor for 11 and a half hours.  She had 8 pups   She had her last pup 8 hours ago.  She has started drooling excessively.  Is this normal.  She is three years old and this is her first litter.

Answer
Is she cleaning the puppies? Did she eat any afterbirth? Are they nursing? Has she eaten or drank anything at all?

I can tell you what to watch out for, and tell you if she should see a vet. If she develops symptoms of Milk Fever, or Calcium Tetany, it IS an emergency and she will need to see a vet IMMEDIATELY.

Symptoms to watch for:

Poor maternal behavior
   Restlessness, nervousness
   Disorientation
   Panting, whining
   Vomiting
   Diarrhea
   Clumsy walking, stiff gait
   Facial itchiness
   Muscle tremors, tetany (entire body goes stiff), convulsions
   Dog lies down with paws rigidly extended (usually seen 812 hours after the first onset of symptoms)
   High body temperature, fever
   Rapid, heavy breathing
   Dilated pupils which are slow to contract when exposed to light
Now these usually occur a few weeks into nursing the puppies but it CAN occur right after her milk comes in.

Generally they will drool after eating a lot of afterbirth and licking the puppies, and herself. She might also have diarrhea for a few days from this as well. If it continues, or she has other symptoms, call your vet- do NOT wait.

Make sure she is eating, free style, a HIGH quality PUPPY FOOD, not regular adult dog food. Stick to High Quality Brands like Science Diet Large Puppy Growth or Eukanuba. Don't use puppy chow or a cheap food like Nutro. She should be on this food as long as she is nursing.

But like I said, watch her closely for other symptoms. If she is eating, drinking,walking normally, then she is probably drooling from all the eating of placentas, etc.

If you are concerned, call your vet!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT