Ask the Veterinarian/my PitBull has been vomiting for a couple of days WHY?

I have a PitBull that is about four months old and for the last couple of days he has been throwing up both water and food. He does still eat and drink but he has lost a lot of weight because of this. When I say that he is vomiting his food it is huge piles of it and looks like he just gulped it down without chewing it. Now let me tell u about his living environment Gator is an inside dog he goes outside but not much cuz it is just to hot to take him out there. We have been having a huge huge HUGE problem with gnats in our home. We spray not shot to kill them and try to clean the floors after sweeping dead ones up. A few days ago we had a backed up toilet and our landlord came used our plunger and put drano down our toilet. Now Gator is still a puppy so of course he gets into any and everything to tear up. He was caught in the bathroom licking up the water from the landlord sitting the plunger on the floor he has also been caught eating toilet paper and chewing up the wooden legs on my dining room chair. He is still very very active but we are concerned about his vomiting and the amounts that he has vomited. It is not small piles by all means they are huge and it looks like he just gulped his food down. We are also concerned that he has lost a lot of weight I would say at least a good five pounds. His stool has been normal ( besides all the toilet paper and wood shavings from the chairs in it ) should we be concerned or is this normal please help we do not want to loose our dog actually my sons dog. We list one about a year ago swore we would never get another until we saw gator so I hope u have an answer for me. Thank you

It sounds like your dog could have an obstruction from eating wood or something else. This is potentially very serious and you really need to have a vet look him over.

You didn't mention vaccinations either so I have no way to know if he could be coming down with parvo with all of this vomiting.

If he continues to eat this way you need to reduce his volume of food and you need to elevate it up so that it slows him down. Many people use large balls, like big softballs in the food dish to make the dog slow down. They have to be large so that the dog doesn't eat them too. There are many food dish racks out there now that will elevate the food and water bowls.

Don't feed him cheap food either, like Purina or Nutro. That will only make this vomiting worse.
He could have a digestive issues as it is and may not even be absorbing all his food.

In either case, weight loss in a 4 month old pup requires a trip to the vet and soon.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.