Ask the Veterinarian/Something strange about my rabbit's eye.

Question
I have a three year old... I think her breed is called a holland lopso, or lop. She's colored like a wild cottontail except for white spots on her nose and paws. I don't know if that description helps anything but better safe then sorry.

The fact is, she's recently developed.... Something, in her left eye. Her irises are icy blue, and in the left eye, its like that coloration is spilling into her pupil? It has a glazed look. Like ice over the pupil. It's not too horribly obvious, but its enough to be noticed.
Her pupil dilates just fine, and she seems to still see just fine from that eye, when I wave things next to it for instance. But what is this? I'm thinking its probably serious enough to see a vet over, it looks very strange, but it doesn't seem to be physically effecting her. I haven't a clue what caused it.
Any ideas? Any thoughts? Do you know what this is or what should be done about it?

I'm a little low on money so if a trip to the vet isn't altogether necessary, if there's some treatment that can be given at home, that would be great.

Answer
Hi Kristen,
Firstly, I am not a rabbit expert so anything other than the most basic having to do with lagamorphs I am horribly uninformed.

I have only owned one rabbit ever so that doesn't help. I do know that many mammals get strange looking inclusions in their iris now and then. Some are harmless and some are a harbinger of deeper things going on in the body.

Having said that, it would behoove you to re-post this to the rabbit group here on AllExperts and to arrange for her to see a vet. You might wait until the rabbit experts tell you what might be going on in her eye.

That's about all I can tell you. We have some great experts in here so I am confident that the rabbit ones are good.

Otherwise, Dr. Chambreau here in the veterinary side does alternative medicine for all species so she be one you could re-post this too. I am not sure if she does rabbits either, however.

Here is the rabbit experts link:

http://www.allexperts.com/el/Rabbits/

and Dr. Chambreau:

http://www.allexperts.com/user.cgi?m=4&expID=104750&catID=700

I hope it turns out to be nothing serious!

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT