Ask the Veterinarian/Grief

Question
QUESTION: Would it be safe to feed my 11-year old golden retriever pedialyte in addition to the SQ 100ml that she receives twice per day?  She refuses to eat anything.

ANSWER: yes, pediolyte would be fine, but not that nutritious. Better would be Wysong's PDG (pre-di-gest) which has all the nutrients, probiotics and vitamins (a bit pricey for a big dog, though. If you have not tried real food - try that now. Raw and cooked meats and fish of all kinds; fish - canned, cooked, raw; dairy, especially cottage cheese; eggs - cooked or raw; and all vegetables and fruits. Even though not the best - ok at this time to offer any foods - pizza, bagels and cream cheese, lunch meat, etc.
Be sure you are giving B-12 injections in each fluid pocket (can go into the IV tube - just remember to pinch off then flush).

Even better is to try some holistic approaches. When I only had my conventional veterinary training, I would often be very frustrated by geriatric problems. The holistic philosophy has taught me that there is an underlying vibrational imbalance that causes most problems and the healing goal is to resolve that imbalance with treatments selected for that individual animal. It has also shown me there are so many different healing approaches. To better understand this perspective, read the first few chapters of Don Hamilton's Homeopathic Care of Cats and Dogs or the few pages in my book, the Healthy Animal's Journal. Now that the multitude of holistic modalities is available, I can tell you to never give up. Try one after the other, and record the changes with each. Contact me again if you cannot find products suggested below.

Learn more:
Please go to my web site and sign up for the newsletter - www.ChristinaChambreau.com. You will get a FREE REPORT on how to prevent fleas and ticks, naturally.  
Also, CLASSES!!!!  Washingtion DC area spring 2014 (CKraham@aol.co) and Calgary fall 2014 (http://deeamanda.wix.com/healthyanimals) - different levels of homeopathy and holistic care;
Animal Wellness Magazine – use ccdvm code when you subscribe (and Equine Wellness, too).
Monthly Blog talk RADIO SHOW archives and listen to all the past shows)     -  
       http://www.homeopathyworldcommunity.com/page/drchristinachambreau

You have 3 major approaches:
1.   Treat conventionally - not much to offer.
2.   Try some self healing treatments for sure.
3.   Begin now to work with an integrative veterinarian for the very best chance of health and long life. (See FIND A HEALER, below)For an older dog (I know labs who were holistically treated who lived to 19) I feel this is really crucial and there are certainly ones in LA.Renal failure really needs professional holistic care - homeopathic or good Chinese Medicine in addition to #2.

If you were trained in different healing modalities (see below - YOU BE THE HEALER) you could help by using Reiki, T-Touch, HTA, flower essences, supplements, homeopathy and more. I am giving multiple suggestions because only some may be available in your area, and each animal is unique, so what works with one does not work with all. This is the joy of holistic approaches - we have dozens of things to try, while conventional has merely a few.
1. Even before you are trained in Reiki, you can ask for this energy healing that cannot hurt and may help (See REIKI, below, for web sites to request healing). and please, learn Reiki as soon as you possibly can as it will be a great help to your dog.
2. Mitomax is a super probiotic that can improve nutrient absorption, so helps with all problems. It also seems to help with some restlessness that dogs with renal problems need. Unlike other probiotics, it is very stable and is ok at the low stomach pH.
3. Rescue remedy from the health food store. Put one drop in a separate water bowl. Put 4 drops in an ounce of water in a jar and give a few drops in every meal and every few hours in between. You cannot use it too often. It is totally safe. It is great for people too - for anxiety, stress, shock, grief and more. Other Flower essences which are all totally safe and can be used as long and as frequently as they seem to help. Remember that using a journal will help you figure out what is helping the most.  Other flower essence companies have combinations for animals include Anaflora.com; GreenHopeEssences.com; petessence.com. Many other companies with single remedies can help you select essences. They are totally safe. UR fine from spirit essences or Flow Free from greenhope and others.
4. Tinkle Tonic from Animals Apawthecary is a great herbal combination.

FIND A HEALER
I strongly recommend finding an integrative veterinarian with whom to work. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion can live a long and healthy life after recovering from this current problem, or if not able to fully recover, to have a much longer time of good quality and a good appetite. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email. Read my comments at the end on working with and selecting a holistic veterinarian.
You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you:
1. Acupuncture and Chinese medicine: www.IVAS.org, www.avaa.org & www.TCVM.com
2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): www.theAVH.org and www.DrPitcairn.com.
3. Chiropractor - www.animalchiropractic.org
4. Wide range of other treatments: www.AHVMA.org, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and www.civtedu.org.   

There are also lots of practitioners and approaches that are used by trained people that you can find by searching the Internet.

If you are interested in better health in general, please read on.
7 KEYS TO HEALTHY ANIMALS
1. Know the current level of health. Most health problems are the result of an underlying energy imbalance.  As we cure animals of "disease", we find that other things we thought were normal go away, so we can use these clues to know that animals are not healthy yet.  Your goal is for your animal to have great energy, no doggy odor, no hairball vomiting, little shedding, a glowing coat and many more. Below is a complete list of these signs (Early Warning Signs of Illness). In young animals, these apparently "normal" problems may be the only indications to start exploring new options for lifestyle or treatment.  Buy the Healthy Animal's Journal (www.HealthyAnimalsJournal.com) so you can see how these early warning symptoms and obvious ill symptoms change over time.  

2. Feed the best. What are the best diets for people or animals -- the most processed or the freshest, most organic?  A basic study has started to see the health effects of processed, cooked and raw diets – please add your dog’s information to this study - www.good-fordogs.blogspot.co.uk. The best ingredients should be the most consciously raised - local, organic vegetables, free ranging protein sources. Dogs and cats have ripping and tearing teeth, bone crunching teeth, no digestive juices in the mouth, jaws that do not chew, a stomach full of acid where the food sits for 4-12 hours and a very short transit time in the intestines. Dogs and cats do not pull out a knife to de-bone their prey and do not pull out matches to light a fire to cook their meat and vegetables. Therefore the best diet for dogs and cats is raw meat including raw bones, pureed raw and cooked vegetables and a few supplements (Calcium if no bones are eaten is critical). Grains are not good for most animals, but if there are none of the early warning signs (see below) and no illnesses, you can feed some grains, preferably the higher protein ones. Start as young kittens and puppies or at whatever age you read this (Brighthaven.org, a cat sanctuary switches 16 years old and older cats to raw meat diet and some have lived to 27 and 30, and now one to 35). Second best is same quality, but cooked.  Even grocery store quality meat and vegetables are much better than most processed foods. Processed foods are an effort for the food industry to use up its waste products except for a few companies with great motives (and even they sometimes get bad or inferior ingredients). Processed foods are also a problem for the environment - they are not sustainable. Many dogs and cats need probiotics, especially if fed processed, dead foods. My current favorite is Mitomax. I have had many animals' minor health problems clear up while using this. Unlike other probiotics, it is very stable and is ok at the low stomach pH. Every animal needs and wants a different combination of foods and supplements at different times in their lives depending on different stressors and health challenges, just as we do. With any food, observe each of your animals for the effect that food has on them and change if decreased energy or poor coat or other Early Warning Signs. NEVER feed DRY food to cats - even as treats. It causes most cats to drink more water resulting in stress to the kidneys and also can trigger bladder problems in cats. You can now buy many commercial raw meat diets. You must research them as well. Ask where the ingredients are raised? Are chemicals used? Are the chickens, beef, pork, etc raised in humane ways, out in the sun to get the Vitamin D in the meat, etc?

3. Vaccinate the least. In my opinion, vaccines have caused more harm to animals than anything else we have done. Do you get measles and mumps vaccines every year of your life? Researchers in conventional veterinary medicine agree that we vaccinate too often, in too many combinations, and that this level of vaccination, while preventing epidemics, is harmful to the health of susceptible animals.  On-going studies show that antibodies are high 10 and 16 years later for dog and cat distemper and dog Parvo so I recommend just a few baby shots and NO more. While Rabies is also a viral disease, you must follow the law and vaccinate every 3 years. You can help fund research to allow the vaccine to be given less frequently, which will help dogs and cats become healthier. Go to: THE RABIES CHALLENGE FUND www.RabiesChallengeFund.org.

To help prevent damage from the Rabies vaccine, or any others that are accidentally given, do the following. First, learn Reiki (see Below) and hold the vaccine syringe in your hand until the "draw" is gone, then Reiki the injection site once you are in car, then Reiki the whole animal daily until they do not "draw". If you have not yet learned Reiki, use the contacts below to have it done for your animal after the vaccine. For two weeks before and two weeks after, give the totally safe Vaccine Detox, a flower essence from www.SpiritEssences.com. Give triple the dose of calcium (or add some calcium) for 3 days before and 5 days after the vaccines. Dr. Peck is finding a drop in calcium at vaccination time. Then use the Early Warning signs, below, to see if further holistic treatment is needed if any of them appear or worsen. A wonderful list serve on vaccines, their harm and alternatives is at yahoo groups. To register, go to novaxk9s-subscribe@yahoogroups.com A great web site is http://vaccines.dogsadversereactions.com/

The AVMA, veterinary colleges, AAHA, FPA and other leaders say 3 years is the best for all other vaccines, so certainly do not do yearly for anything (unless there is a Leptospirosis outbreak in your area, then email me for guidance). Please do not let the need to put your dog in a kennel force you to poison your dog with extra vaccines unless it is an emergency. The insert in vaccine packages says “Give only to healthy animals”, so if your animal is ill in any way, or undergoing treatment, they should not be vaccinated. Vaccinated animals often develop many chronic conditions including diabetes, cushings disease, addisons, allergies and even cancer.
If your animal has any type of reaction to vaccines, please report it to http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/cvb/html/adverseeventreport.html.

4. Use the fewest chemicals, remembering that there are chemicals in vaccines. Each animal is an individual and will respond differently to heartworm, flea and tick preventatives. Some are very sensitive to chemicals used in the yard or the house and in vaccines - they will become profoundly ill. Others will be triggered by these chemicals to just not have full health.  Chemicals in foods can cause allergic type reactions, so again feeding a fresh diet from local ingredients will be best. Healthy yards have lots of weeds. House cleaners can be made from foods and microfibril cloths clean like a charm. Healthy animals never get fleas and ticks

5. Understand how animals become ill and how they heal. First there is an energetic imbalance (they are just not right), then functional (the dog is itchy), then inflamed (skin is red, infected, swollen and hot) and finally tissue changes (thick, black skin). Results of any treatment can be no change, amelioration (current symptoms disappear with no other improvements, then return), suppression (current symptoms disappear and they become more ill) or a cure (everything about the animal to begins to improve, especially the overall energy level.)  
Keeping a journal is critical to determine what treatments are helping problems to become less frequent and less severe. You can stand firm with what you feel is working even if your professional disagrees and change approaches when needed. You can create your own using a three ring binder, a notebook, a calendar. Be sure to have a master symptom list, pages where you list treatments you have started or been given, and pages where you make daily or frequent entries about every symptom on the master symptom list, especially including the overall energy level, emotional state and new changes. Some people have found my book makes it easier.
http://christinachambreau.com/bookstore/healthy-animal-journal/healthy-dog-journ is a great one to use in print or e-version is available.  

6. Learn different healing approaches. There are so many different ways to stimulate healing that you never need to give up trying. Flower essences, essential oils, homeopathy, massage, Reiki and herbs are a few. Classes are found through your health food store, by phone or on-line. I teach many classes around the country and my web site lists classes taught by others as well.

7. Select the best healers for each animal's health team. Most people want a veterinarian (preferably integrative) and an energy healer. You decide what needs to be tried next for your animal. When you realize the animal is not improving – seek different care. Use conventional veterinarians for diagnosis and emergency treatment, or if other methods are not working. Again, integrative veterinarians (see above) will be able to do both, and have the philosophical understanding of the vibrational causes of illness.

YOU BE THE HEALER  
I also strongly recommend getting some training in understanding the wide range of approaches to health so you can be in charge of what you choose for treatments for your animals. You can learn Reiki (which can take the "bad" out of vaccines and any needed drugs, or even make food healthier), massage, HTA, TTouch, acupressure, flower essence therapy, aromatherapy, all of which are 100% safe to use for any problems (see REIKI below). There are many more approaches you can do to help heal your animals with some training since they need to be used more carefully - homeopathy, herbal medicine, Chinese herbs. In addition to classes (see below), there are many very good list serves filled with people experienced with not vaccinating and feeding raw meat diets. Go to yahoogroups.com and look for “Novaxk9s” and “Raw Paws”. As with human health approaches, there are many different opinions, so you need to experiment and see what makes your animals more or less healthy.

Many courses taught on blog talk radio, in webinars and in person by many committed holistic veterinarians. www.HomeopathyWorldCommunity.com. You can do searches online for the many other classes and lectures available. Animal Wellness and Dogs Naturally magazines have sites that list classes as well. Most skills in classes about health approaches for people can be extrapolated to animals. The acupressure points are the same, remedies are used the same way, Reiki is good for everything, etc.

Healthy Animal Update is an emailed newsletter that is occasionally sent out – to sign up – go to www.ChristinaChambreau.com. Good Health for your pet, Dr. Chambreau

REIKI:
Personally, I think every person who lives with or works with animals must know at least Level I Reiki. The practitioner offers this energy and the animal comes over to get it (or places her hands upon the animal), or it can be done from a distance, even around the world with the intent for healing to occur. The energy flows through the healer into the animal. This is based on directly applying Chi (energy) to rebalance the energy field so it no longer needs to produce the physical symptoms. It is a very good adjunct to any healing modality, especially to relieve pain and inflammation. I have seen cats who began to eat again when their food was treated with Reiki. It also "takes the bad out of" things. By doing Reiki on smelly water in restaurants I have been able to drink sweet tasting and smelling water. Use Reiki anytime that you must give injections, vaccines, drugs, flea or heartworm drugs, or other substances with potential toxicity. Reiki is great to calm animals, relieve discomfort, and can deeply heal some problems in some animals.  

1. Great information on Reiki - http://www.reikicourse.org. Kathleen Prasad is a wonderful teacher and works with my favorite sanctuary and holistic education center, BrightHaven www.brighthaven.org. Kathleen leads a free monthly telechat for anyone trained in Reiki and using it with animals.
3. http://www.animalreikisource.com/. If you cannot find a Reiki Class near you (same class for people and animals as it connects you through an "attunement" to the healing energy of the universe, making you a channel of healing), the following groups offer long distance, free, attunements.

a. http://theholisticcare.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13,
       b. http://freereikiattunement.com/
       c. www.ReikiBlessings.com offers free Reiki attunements, classes and training on-line         and animal classes, too
       d. Long distance healing and training is at www.animalhealers.homestead.com/  
       e. Christine at cbearse@earthlink.net, www.awakeningrainbows.com. To receive free distance Reiki send her your first name only, city and state, and whether or not you have had any Reiki training.  She invites you to include your pets as well.  She uses a teddy bear and does a full body Reiki distance treatment for one hour each Sunday evening from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. EST.
4. www.AnimalReikiAlliance.com has articles and Maryland holistic practitioners listed.
5. http://www.reiki.org  . http://www.ReikiTails.com  is a great practitioner in Maryland who knows a lot about cats.
6. Get a free treatment for yourself at www.interdimensionalhealing.com.

Another wonderful healer, Deena Spears works long distance with Sound Tuning. www.Singingwoods.com. I have seen many animals and the people in a home be healed by her work.

And a team of over 100 healers will send free healing energy until you say not to. Email Barbara at nancelot01@aol.com with your healing request, name of animal, species, color & age. In the subject say request through Dr. Chambreau

LISTS SERVES TO HELP YOU LEARN TO FEED THE BEST
From the folks that brought us Jstsayno2vaccs is a new site for raw feeding - excellent - http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawk9s/  Here is what they say, “Lastly, we saw a need for a beginner's raw feeding group. Many of the raw feeding groups have grown very large and often new people are lost in the shuffle. In addition, some raw feeding groups are specialized to one type of feeding only. We believe that feeding raw is the first step in whole health and have tried to create an environment of learning and support where there are no dumb questions and everyone gets individual attention. With that in mind Kathleen recently instituted a mentoring program where mentor's sign up to help individuals, and new folks can opt into the program and receive private help in their journey. It has been a huge success.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aunaturelK9 - the above groups breeding web site. Excellent.
http://www.rawmeatybones.com/ - Dr. Tom Lonsdale site
http://www.rawlearning.com/ - Australian lady, no vegetables, no fruits, good links and articles
http://www.rawfeddogs.net/ - very practical, meat only
http://thedogchef.net – DC food delivery of specialty meals.
http://selkatztonkinese.com/natural.html cat diet
http://www.catfood.catnutrition.org/
http://www.catinfo.org/ - Lisa Pierson, DVM
http://www.LittleBigCat.com – Jean Hofve, DVM – full of great information

http://mypetcarnivore.com/ - sells raw meat products

I do not personally know all the rest, so use your common sense as you read.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/
http://www.katberard.com/hol_bonesandfood.htm
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DogHealth/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CarnivoreFeed-Supplier/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dogmentor/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RawChat/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SeniorRawFeeding/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawbreeder/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RawPup/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BasicRaw/
And if you are really stuck on a specific issue
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawissues/
http://www.serve.com/BatonRouge/nutr.htm
http://www.serve.com/BatonRouge/taurine_chmr.htm  
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/felinefuturediet/

There is also a list of lists where other raw feeding lists can be found.  Many are breed specific, location specific or subject specific.
http://www.barfers.com/barflists.html

EARLY WARNING SIGNS OF ILLNESS FOR DOGS AND CATS

1. Is your companion really healthy?
2. Can you tell if the treatment you selected is deeply curing?
3. Can your companion be healthier than you realize?
YES - read on and evaluate your animal for true health.

Most health problems are the result of an underlying energy imbalance, made worse from poor diet and vaccination.  They are rarely acute diseases (except injuries). Therefore, you may find that the problem does not clear up as you expect or it recurs. If so, you are dealing with an underlying predisposition to illness, and these clues to underlying ill health will help you select a remedy and monitor the results.  As we cure animals of "disease", we find that certain other "NORMAL" things go away, too.  Do not be satisfied until most of the following symptoms are gone.  In young, apparently healthy animals, these apparently "normal" problems may be the only indications to start treatment. This is only the beginning of a list - as more animals are cured we will find new levels of health. Tracking these is easy when you use the Healthy Animal's Journal by Dr. Christina Chambreau (www.HealthyAnimalsJournal.com)
SKIN: doggy smell; attracts fleas a lot; dry, oily, lack-luster coat;
excessive shedding; not grooming,    ear problems - waxy, oily, itchy, recurrent mites; eye discharge, tearing, or matter in corner of eyes; raised third eyelid; spots appearing on iris; "freckles" appearing on face; whiskers falling out; fragile, thickened, distorted claws that are painful or sensitive to trim.
BEHAVIOR: Fears(of loud noises, thunder, wind, people, animals, life); too timid; too rough or aggressive (even at play); too hard to train; barks too much and too long; suspicious nature; biting    when petted too long; hysteria when restrained; clumsy; indolent; licking or sucking things or people too much; not using litter box or not covering stool.
DIGESTIVE: Bad breath; tarter accumulation; loss of teeth; poor appetite; craving weird things(rubber    bands, plastic, dirt, cat litter, paper, dogs eating dog or cat stools, rocks, sticks...); sensitivity to milk;    thirst - a super healthy cat on non dry food will drink at most once a week; red gum line; vomiting often, even hairballs more than a few times a year; mucous on stools; tendency to diarrhea with least    change of diet; obesity;  anal gland problems; recurrent parasites.
STIFFNESS when getting up, early hip dysplasia; tires easily in hot or cold weather; can no longer jump up on counters, or go up or down steps.
TEMPERATURE: Low grade fevers - Normal for healthy cats and dogs is
100-101.5.
AGE & REPRODUCTION: Should live a long life (Shepards 17 years, Danes 12, cats 24). should be able    conceive easily, deliver normally, and not pass on "genetic breed" problems.

SELECTING AND WORKING WITH AN INTEGRATIVE VETERINARIAN

Holistic medicine takes the perspective of treating the whole animal. Even if there is a current problem, for example diarrhea or itching, a good integrative veterinarian will ask questions about what problems there have been in the past, what changes in the household or the environment may have triggered the current complaint and if there is anything that makes the current complaints better or worse. They will also evaluate the overall energy level of the animal. Their goal is to make the animal healthier for life, not just to get rid of the current symptom. They will educate you and explain what they see when physically examining your animal.

Some of the modalities that integrative veterinarians may use in addition to conventional include acupuncture, herbs, flower essences, homeopathy, chiropractic, network chiropractic, nutrition, glandulars, Reiki, Tellington touch, healing touch, long distance healing modalities. Some of these have certification programs with a year or more of courses, exams and evaluation of clinical ability. Others are either self-taught or not regulated. Some individuals are wonderful with your animal -- others great at explaining to you what is happening with your animals. A few are good in both areas. Few veterinarians are perfect, and we all have bad days. Your animal should at least be comfortable with your choice and you should be able to get your questions and concerns addressed.

Once you have done the internet work suggested above, how do you select one to start with and then how do you know if you are getting good service and what can you do to help them help your animals?

Ask the veterinarian you are interested in:
1. Ask what modalities are used?
2. What is their training?
3. Is their goal overall health or to merely treat the current complaint? This may be the most important question.
4. What organizations they belong to & how recently have they gone to conferences or taught?  (Just because they belong to AHVMA, or AVH, does not mean they are trained or capable in those modalities.)
As she treats your animal, a good holistic veterinarian will usually:
1. Ask about the history, overall energy, what might have caused the current problem, the environment and what makes the symptoms better or worse.
2. Their physical exam will be gentle, complete and they will show you (you may need to ask) what they mean by “gingivitis, big lymph nodes, heart murmur”, etc.
3. They will be willing to answer your questions and explain why they are recommending a particular treatment.  
4. If they recommend conventional treatments (antibiotics, prednisone, etc.) they will explain to you why they choose this over holistic, and give you a chance to request the more holistic treatment.
5. They will not do anything (vaccinate, treat) without asking you first.
6. They will recommend fewer or no vaccinations and a raw meat or at least more holistic diet.
7. They will schedule follow up appointments until your animal is really healthy.
(See symptoms of chronic disease)
What you can do to help your holistic veterinarian
1. Keep a dated journal of any problems, even little ones.
2. Write down any treatments given.
3. Call if symptoms worsen, or they are less energetic and less happy, or you have concerns.

Many people feel that they would rather give a lot of chemical preventatives for worms and viruses and food from a bag as it seems easier and some dogs do seem to thrive on this approach - like some people who smoke and drink and live a long healthy life. In 30 years of integrative practice, though, I see many people frustrated with cancer, diabetes, cushings, severe allergies and more. Many of them, when switching to the above approaches, find both improved health and even satisfaction that they are treating their dog as a member of the family. They feed from the same sources they get their ingredients. They vaccinate no more than they get. If they do not take worm preventatives all the time, they do not give it to their animals. If the label says "do not touch without gloves" they would not think of putting it on their pet's skin.

Truly it is your choice and there is no right or correct answer, just the one that makes more sense to you.

12 2013 edit) When I only had my conventional veterinary training, I would often be very frustrated by problems that recurred like this. The holistic philosophy has taught me that there is an underlying vibrational imbalance that causes most problems and the healing goal is to resolve that imbalance with treatments selected for that individual animal. To better understand this perspective, read the first few chapters of Don Hamilton's Homeopathic Care of Cats and Dogs or the few pages in my book, the Healthy Animal's Journal. Now that the multitude of holistic modalities is available, I can tell you to never give up. Try one after the other, and record the changes with each. Contact me again if you cannot find products suggested below.

Very importantly, check to see if your electric company has changed your old “analog” electric meter (it has 4 little discs that spin and a man stops monthly to read it) for a “smart meter” or “digital meter” – looks like a computer. These can cause severe health problems or worsen current ones. Opt out of getting one.  www.stopsmartmeters.org

Learn more:

You have 3 major approaches:
1.   Treat conventionally
2.   Try some self healing treatments.
3.   Begin now to work with an integrative veterinarian for the very best chance of health and long life. (See FIND A HEALER, below)

1. Even before you are trained in Reiki, you can ask for this energy healing that cannot hurt and may help (See REIKI, below, for web sites to request healing).
Skin:
Skin problems are actually a good thing. No dog dies from skin problems.  If the vibrational field is healthy enough to produce skin symptoms instead of more serious illnesses (diabetes, Cushing’s, etc) this is good.

2. Mitomax is a super probiotic that can improve nutrient absorption, so helps with all problems. I have had many animals' itchiness clear up while using this, though sometimes they need to stay on it. Unlike other probiotics, it is very stable and is ok at the low stomach pH.
3. Rescue remedy from the health food store. Put one drop in a separate water bowl. Put 10 drops in a cup of water and rinse hot spots or itchy areas with it. Put 4 drops in an ounce of water in a jar and give a few drops in every meal and every few hours in between. You cannot use it too often. It is totally safe. It is great for people too - for anxiety, stress, shock, grief and more.
4. Skin Soothe from www.SpiritEssences.com. Flower essences are totally safe and can be used as long and as frequently as they seem to help. Remember that using a journal will help you figure out what is helping the most.  Other flower essence companies have combinations for animals include Anaflora.com; GreenHopeEssences.com; petessence.com. Many other companies with single remedies can help you select essences. They are totally safe.
5. Anxiety Wrap (http://www.crvetcenter.com/bodywrap.htm) - uses an ace bandage to calm the dog so the itching may stop.
6. Derma Strength (http://christinachambreau.com/product-overviews - VetriScience) is a nutritional supplement that can be used long term.
7. Most importantly, change to a raw meaty bone diet as this cures, or at least helps, about 60% of dogs with skin problems who come to my practice.
8. Dr. Dobias has seen many itchy faces, feet and ears resolve when collars are eliminated and harnesses with chest/leash attachments used.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCushings-AutoimmuneCare/
Diarrhea:
2. You can try Phytomucil from animal Essentials or make your own from marshmallow root from the health food store - 1 teaspoon of the ground root in 1 C of boiling water. Stir till cooled. It should feel slippery - if not add more. Mix 1/2 teaspoon with something your animal likes to eat - 3-4 times a day. Try not to buy slipery elm except from Animals' Apawthecary as it is made by cutting down elm trees.
3. Mitomax is a super probiotic. I have had many animals' diarrhea clear up while using this, thought sometimes they need to stay on it. Unlike other probiotics, it is very stable and is ok at the low stomach pH.
4.Happy Tummy (www.SpiritEssences.com) for any digestive upset.  Flower essences are totally safe and can be used as long and as frequently as they seem to help. Other flower essence companies have combinations for animals include Anaflora.com; GreenHopeEssences.com; petessence.com. Many other companies with single remedies can help you select essences. They are totally safe. Remember that using a journal will help you figure out what is helping the most.
4. Most importantly, change to a raw meaty bone diet as this cures, or at least helps, about 40% of animals with digestive problems who come to my practice.

Urinary problems:
2. CRystal Clear is a product I am just learning about - you could try that.
2. Tinkle Tonic from Animal Essentials (Animal Apawthecary) helps cats be more comfortable and helps heal the urinary tract. Use it now and start it the second you see a recurrance of this problem.
3. UR fine from SpiritEssences.com. Flower essences are totally safe, so this is one to have on hand. I would use it for 2 weeks after the symptoms have resolved. Other flower essence companies have combinations for animals include Anaflora.com; GreenHopeEssences.com; petessence.com Many other companies with single remedies can help you select essences.
4. Most importantly, change to a raw meaty bone diet as this cures, or at least helps, about 50% of cats with bladder problems who come to my practice.
5. If you have a health food store near by, you can purchase marshmallow root which may soothe the symptoms. Glycerite can be squirted directly in the cat's mouth - 1/2cc (1/8 teaspoon) twice a day. Or you can make a tea from it with 1 teaspoon of the dried root powder in 8 ounces of hot water, stirring, then cool (from Greg Tilford’s book - Herbs for Pets). It should be slippery feeling. If not - add more powder. Give 1/2 teaspoon twice a day.
6. Buy Anitra Frazier's The Natural Cat for much for guidance on treating "Feline Urologic Syndrome" pg 384.
7. Give 250 mg vitamin C in every meal.

Money:
You are not alone in being short of money right now. There are many ways you can find money to treat your cherished animals. Some veterinarians, especially integrative ones, will be willing to barter with you. What skills do you have? Can you clean their parking lot, sidewalk, clinic? Are you a bookkeeper or accountant? Are you great with the internet and able to help them build a web site? Could you get new clients for them? Call the veterinarian of your choice (especially an integrative one), ask to speak with the veterinarian and tell them your financial situation and that you would like to build up credit for future problems. Ask if they will take payment plans and think what you could offer as collateral. Ask if the clinic has its own fund to help those in need. Call multiple veterinarians, especially integrative clinics.  Purchase pet insurance. Also, many cities have humane societies and other groups that can help with medical bills, rabies vaccines, spay and neuters. You can also save significant money by following the following holistic approaches - do not vaccinate and find local sources of free food ingredients. This will take some time and research, then will be easy and inexpensive. http://reggiespetproject.org/ helps in honor of their holistically treated dachshund who lived to 20.  I also have a list of more specific help you can get. Email me at HealthyAnimals@aol.com for this.

Breeding:
I would strongly recommend you get your dog spayed until you have learned more about holistic health care and until the economy has turned around so people are not dropping off dog after dog after cat at shelters or turning them loose because they cannot afford to feed even their children. For in this harsh economic time, many great breeders are working hard with their breed's rescue groups to find home for dogs rather than breeding more. The great thing about holistically treating your dogs when you are ready to breed again is that the pups will be healthier than the parents and you can actually stop genetic diseases in some lines. Pretty awesome. Be sure to carefully read and converse with the wonderful holistic breeders at http://www.aunaturelk9s.com/

Australia - http://www.civtedu.org/australia/
         http://www.ahv.com.au/
        western - http://www.naturalvet.org/

Megan Kearney, and Doug Wilson, both in different practices in New South Wales, Australia, are both very good.
Megan's practice is at: http://vitalityvetcare.com.au/

The IAVH website lists Doug Wlson's practice details at:
http://www.iavh.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&lang=en
Jenny White  glenvet@aapt.net.au
Henry Stephenson <kwanavet@optusnet.com.au>

NEW ZEALAND: holisticvets.co.nz (lisa Schneider).

INDIA:  http://www.vethomopath.com/
Norway - http://www.nhl.no/, http://www.nan.no
Canada = http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/holisticveterinarians.htm
S. Africa - http://www.holisticvet.co.za

UK - www.bahvs.com     (homeopathy)
Europe - QiAcademy  www.qiacademy.eu  www.iavh.org
http://animanvet.wordpress.com/dr-ronit-aboutboul/ is a great homeopathic veterinarian in Tel Aviv.  An article was written speaking about ORSHINA - The Israeli Veterinary Institute for Holistic Medicine, but I could not find a web site.  Maybe searching in Hebrew will work.
FIND A HEALER
I strongly recommend finding an integrative veterinarian with whom to work. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion can live a long and healthy life after recovering from this current problem. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email. Read my comments at the end on working with and selecting a holistic veterinarian.

7 KEYS TO HEALTHY ANIMALS

YOU BE THE HEALER  

REIKI:

b. http://freereikiattunement.com/

http://www.catfood.catnutrition.org/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RawChat/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RawPup/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BasicRaw/

http://www.barfers.com/barflists.html

1. Is your companion really healthy?

100-101.5.

1. Ask what modalities are used?
2. What is their training?
(See symptoms of chronic disease)
2. Write down any treatments given.

QUESTION: The vets in my area  seem to not know ho

Answer
Know that she is now out of pain, and happily on her next journey while at the same time visiting you in spirit if you are open to that.

Be sure to tend to your other dog and yourself with some of the suggestions I made.
Rescue remedy is great for grief and changes. Add in Bach flower Walnut (which is for change).

do find an integrative vet for your girl so she can live a long healthy life.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau