Ask the Veterinarian/Dental Question

Question
Hello,

I have a 6 year old male cat. He only likes dry food.
I use chewing toys made for dental purpose.
Should I buy him a dental brush and tooth paste for cats?
If yes, any safe brand you recommend? or any ingredients I should be avoiding?
Thanks.

Regards

Answer
Hi there,
It is wonderful that you are looking to care for his teeth. Dental disease is a big problem and prevention is key.

You can either add something to his drinking water, I very much like Healthy Mouth as there is lots of research to say it does work. Details here: http://www.healthymouth.com/

Otherwise, yes you can brush his teeth. There are various cat toothpastes that you can use, but if you get a chicken or beef flavoured cat-safe toothpaste on you have more chance of it being accepted. Then you can either use a fingerbrush designed for pets or a soft baby toothbrush. Just brush the outside of the teeth, as the tongue takes care of the inside. Ideally you need to brush daily.

I've written some information here: https://www.lovethatpet.com/cats/grooming/brushing-your-cats-teeth-dental-care-for-your-pet/

Hope that helps, let me know how you go. The key is to start gradually just with some pet toothpaste on your finger and get him used to the idea, then start with just one tooth and over time build up to brushing all of them. If the gums bleed or he seems painful in the mouth, get your vet to check him over.

Eloise
www.lovethatpet.com

Ask the Veterinarian

Eloise Bright