Ask the Veterinarian/Dog separation angst

Question
QUESTION: So I need some advice about this situation. My aunt died recently. She and her husband had 3 dogs together. The oldest is around 14 yrs old, than another around 10yrs old and the last is around 5yrs old. The dogs have been together for a long time, but; After she died, my uncle decided to give away the two youngest dogs and keep the oldest (mainly bc he felt the eldest was too old to find a new home). They are very sweet dogs who have spent a great amount of time together. They have had to deal with the lost of my aunt and now my uncle. I feel bad for the two dogs to be separated since they haven't been apart most of their lives. However, while they are used to being around each other they frequently push over each other for attention. If one dog is getting petted or their name called, the others come running for affection. With this in mind, I wonder if this is the behavior of dogs starved for one on one attention? If so, I wonder if it would be better for them to be separated so they can be only dogs and not have to share attention. However, they frequently sit on each other or sleep together so I know they are attached. However, they don't play with each other much anymore, more like parellel play. It would be easier for them to go to separate homes but I'm afraid they would miss each other greatly. Any advice?

ANSWER: The behavior you are describing is perfectly normal for all dogs. It's just the way they are. I wouldn't separate these two since they do rely on each other for comfort and have been together 5 years. Dogs do mourn the loss of their owners and each other.

So please tell whomever has these two to keep them together if at all possible.
But what they are doing with being petted etc. is quite normal and harmless. It is not a sign of a dog being starved for one on one attention.

QUESTION: I've heard different opinions about this: is it harmful for them to visit the 3rd dog that got left behind or should they make a clean break? Also, when boarding, it's easier to find folks (friends, fam) who will take one of the dogs. Would boarding them separately be a bad thing or a welcome temporary change. Both places they would go do would suit their particular personalities. Thanks.

Answer
Dogs are pack animals, much like their ancestors, wolves. They do better when with their pack mates. We become their pack leaders when they have no other dogs in the house.
So saying this "Would boarding them separately be a bad thing or a welcome temporary change." doesn't work in a dog's mind. To them being separated from a litter mate or house mate is a very stressful situation. There is no "welcome change."

Now if they have to be separated permanently they WILL adjust, but it takes time. Taking them back and forth just slows that process down. Yes, they DO love to see and play with their past housemates but only after they have settled into their new environment and feel secure there.

If you have to split them up then do it and let there be no second guessing. It's just too stressful for them. Let them all settle down THEN let them all visit.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT