Ask the Veterinarian/Dog not putting weight on hind legs

I have a 2yr old blue nose pit bull. This morning before I left for work he wasn't putting weight on his left hind leg. I rubbed him up and down the leg and hip feeling nothing out of place and he didn't show any sign of discomfort. When I got home tonight,I was told he wouldn't put weight on either leg. He is laying near me and still isn't showing any sign of discomfort other than he won't put any weight on his legs. Other than that, Bo isn't showing any other symptoms of discomfort. What could cause this?

Hi there, It is very difficult to know without examining your dog in person. Do you have vet nearby? Do you live in a paralysis tick area? Sorry I can't be of more help, really hard to say without physically examining your dog for signs of injury or disease. If there is generalised weakness in both hind limbs it could be due to hip dysplasia, neurological disease, metabolic disease or any number of causes.

Hope your dog improves, but I would suggest a trip to the vet.

Ask the Veterinarian

Eloise Bright

I am a vet with a special interest in dermatology, particularly allergic dogs and cats, behaviour and acupuncture. I work mainly with dogs and cats. If you are wondering why your pet is still itchy, despite good flea control, or why your dog licks his feet, I may be able to give you some solutions. I'm currently very passionate about behaviour and am doing some further education in this area. So if you have a troubling behaviour with your dog or cat, such as barking, leash reactivity, anxiety or a dog who is a little wild and difficult to control, I may be able to help you with some solutions.

I work in an area of Sydney where we see lots of allergic pets. I think behaviour problems are very common and I help a number of owners find solutions that will restore peace to them and their pets. Currently I enjoy answering questions, providing advice and writing pet care articles for

I graduated as a vet from Sydney Uni in 2006 and have since been completing my Masters in Small Animal Practice and am also updating my skills with a behaviour course through Sydney Uni.