Ask the Veterinarian/Food



    I have a three year old female, rescue cat, vocal, seems healthy, likes the out door, likes to hunt. I feed it dry cat food and tuna fish once in a while.
Am I feeding it OK? How much should I feed it? Should I leave food out for it all the time or just feed it in small amounts three times a day?

         Thanks, Jim

Depends on the type of food you are feeding her. If you are feeding her a typical store bought dry food (Meow mix, anything from the grocery store) then no, she isn't getting the nutrition she needs.

If you are feeding her a high quality food, then yes, she is getting fed well. By high quality I mean Hills Science Diet, Ekanuba, or something organic, like Blue Buffalo or Hills Healthy Advantage.

Tuna is okay but it's too high in minerals for most cats and too contaminated now to be feeding it at all. Get her some cans of Hills wet food or even Friskies and feed her a bit of that now and then.

Since she hunts, make sure you check her often for tape-worm segments. They get tape-worms from eating mice who carry the fleas with the tape-worm egg in them. That or the mice eat the flea, either way, she should be wormed every 4-6 months.

I am guessing she is spayed. Make sure her vaccinations, including rabies,  are current yearly as well, for your health as well as hers.  

Ask the Veterinarian

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jana Connell RVT, CVT


PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!


I have over 42 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love. I also Teach Veterinary Technology to working technicians who are studying to take their California Tests to become Licensed Technicians. They have to take both the VTNE (Veterinary Technician National Exam) and the California boards.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.


Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 1500 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Awards and Honors
Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]