Ask the Veterinarian/Handling a cat after a seizure

Question
Hello.

We have a 16 year old female cat, long haired, spayed, had a full run of vaccines, and 3-year updates on rabies, but no follow-up inoculations, as she is strictly indoors and never boarded, and the vet said she didn't need the boosters. In the last 2 years, she's started having grand mal seizures. The vet has ruled them idiopathic, but suspects that excessive itching (fleas, allergies, etc) is a big trigger for them. The seizures themselves don't seem to upset her (she doesn't avoid the places she's had them), but post-ictal, she acts as if she cannot see, and seems panicked, crying frantically unless you hold her, talk to her constantly, pet her, etc.

My grandmother, an RN, said that touching 'something' after a seizure is a bad idea, it stimulates the brain too much? She keeps saying to just leave the cat alone, don't talk to her, don't touch her. Is she right in this? She just seems so lost and bewildered after a seizure. Any advice would be appreciated.

Answer
Interesting that you should ask this question when a bunch of us techs had this conversation today online.

The general thinking here is that you leave the animal alone but stay by them after the seizure. You don't want to stimulate them. Petting gently might be okay but whispering or speaking low and soothingly won't hurt her.

When a 16 year old cat starts to seizure, 99% of the time it's a brain related issue like a tumor or it's a build-up of ammonia in the blood. The latter is more common in dogs that cannot tolerate protein diets. Idiopathic means unknown for the most part. Unfortunately quite often these seizures in a 16 year old cat can be from a tumor. I have never heard of fleas or itching triggering seizures in my 42 years of experience.

I had a 13 yr old cat that started seizing out of the blue. One vet told us that she had a hairball in her stomach that was toxic. My dad took her to another vet who also examined her and declared that she had developed a brain tumor.

There are many other reasons she could be seizing, but like Grandma said, just sit by her and comfort her gently. Be very careful as some cats (and dogs) post-ictally can be aggressive and bite.

I should also mention that the cognitive issues she has after the seizure are also very common to a cat this age even without seizures. Geriatric cats tend to "sundown" especially at night and can become disoriented, vocalize and bump into walls. My cat acted the same as yours. In the clinic, we make sure the cat or dog cannot hurt themselves and pad around them with towels, blankets, etc. when they start a seizure. Then after we just let them recover.

I hope she doesn't have many more of these, I know they can be so distressing to watch.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT